Curve spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2014
I wanted to bump this thread. My daughter is 12 and learning the curve ball. She is being taught the "palm up" curve ball but, in reality, it is a corkscrew curve ball. Does a true palm up curve exist? Any video of it?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
sydney_littlejohn_curve2_zpsbhtmhynb.gif
CBReleaseMov_zpsdu9wewym.gif
CBBehindMOV_zpsrc05akwh.gif

A flat 9-3 spin is pretty rare at full speed. Most turn into a crise or a turned up spiral.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2014
Maybe I'm seeing this wrong but it looks like IR mechanics and the corkscrew curve to me. When I think of the the palm up curve, I think of the elbow blocking at the hip and the palm/wrist extending away from the body while keeping the palm facing the sky. Any palm up video from the front view?

SB45

Dad, Coach, Chauffeur
Sep 2, 2016
Western NY
I think of the elbow blocking at the hip and the palm/wrist extending away from the body while keeping the palm facing the sky.

I guess I could see someone explaining it like this...but in reality I don't think you could throw this way. The posted videos are what I would see as a palm up curve.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I wanted to bump this thread. My daughter is 12 and learning the curve ball. She is being taught the "palm up" curve ball but, in reality, it is a corkscrew curve ball. Does a true palm up curve exist? Any video of it?

With any spin, what matters most is where the last fingertip comes off the ball. With a palm up curve, the middle finger pulls/whips around the outside of the ball and last touches the ball at about 3 o'clock--nearest the body. The middle finger releases at about the same spot for a corkscrew.

IMG_4702.JPG

I think the corkscrew is much easier to master for smaller hands. Littlejohn, Osterman and the old guy above are long and lanky, which is an advantage with the PU curve. I think the PU curve offers a little more speed and spin, but it's hard to get good spin without a lot of work. For me the trick is getting the wrist cupped enough to stay on the 9-3 path to keep spin flat. Avoiding bullet spin requires twisting the hand back (thumb back and down.) Many have suggested that a crise spin is better than a flat spin. Both of these spins require IR of the upper arm while resisting pronation of the forearm (for me the corkscrew is actually more of a supinating/twisting feel.) Both can benefit from upper arm lock and brush.

If you must have a curve, try both. The process of trying different things encourages feel/awareness for how to manipulate a ball's spin--and it's fun!

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Ken B,

You do understand, don't you, that every time I see these two clips of you throwing that curveball, I'm mesmerized for over an hour. VERY NICE DEMONSTRATION!

Is it the really cool attire, the haircut or my gut? ;)

I'd much rather watch this guy:

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Young at heart! I actually look at other people's walkers and wonder how I could trick them out. I'm talking LED lighting, shocks, bigger wheels and of course, a handlebar dinger!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish