Curve as a change?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Currently working with a 2018 that throws a very good traditional curve at about 50mph which is a very effective complement to her 2 seam that she brings in the 60+ range. I really like the pitch especially when it has some down to it and can move down and away from throwing side hitters. I think the corkscrew is a great pitch to throw off speed, something that does not work well with a 2 seam which is more of a power pitch.

WOW... we agree on a lot !!! See if you can go this far... LOL

Drop is first pitch...(its what some call a F@&TBALL) I Like "power" pitch.

Its the transition young pitchers (9-10yr.old) make, that can put it across the plate 90%

It should be straight across the plate... looking for UMPs blindspot... and calls

Same with "Rise"...@ that age ...really just high... work on get it climbing. Straight across the plate.

2Seam fingering on both the straight power pitches ^ drop & climbing highball...(not to use the term "Rise in Vain")
brings MagusForce into the pitch, and can give 3"+ of break...Middle of plate to the outside corner
just the width of bat...or out of the sweetspot...@ 10-12U

Curve & Screw's are intended to blur their vision, keep of balance, waste pitches ect...@ first. Then get it moving,
and catching the front and back corners with same pitch...breaking 12"+ and callable @ 14U

PS: Would really love to get a copy (native file from the camera) of "the Pitch" your DD threw in the Bama game :cool:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD throws a slurve, which is a slow curveball. She does this with a knuckle up and using her regular curve ball motion. Pitch is 7-8 MPH slower than her regular curve. I learned the grip on DFP a couple of years ago. I think Hal Skinner may have been the one who posted it originally. I remember the first time I told her pitching coach I wanted to try something I learned on DFP and she rolled her eyes, but now she is a believer!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
My DD throws a slurve, which is a slow curveball. She does this with a knuckle up and using her regular curve ball motion. Pitch is 7-8 MPH slower than her regular curve. I learned the grip on DFP a couple of years ago. I think Hal Skinner may have been the one who posted it originally. I remember the first time I told her pitching coach I wanted to try something I learned on DFP and she rolled her eyes, but now she is a believer!

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/15752-curveball-tips.html

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO

I remember that thread too. That video of Manley, put me in the hunt. Like Edy's screwball post... it was a warming-up. No big leap, just a step, & not super fast. Then there was How's explanation of his pitch...that it could be learned in 12 throws. Easy sell for 10U. Tried & True.

With BM Corkscrew, you get the teach.... all in one. Simply have them watch it. Something in BM's voice ??? Works & Fast !!! :cool:

Sep 17, 2009
Here's a game DD was working on her CorkScrew... a couple years ago...Might
want to view on You-Tube full-screen...or just watch the catchers glove.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s7m_1R5N_uw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't know how this will be taken, but in this video this pitcher (nice job!) is SO far ahead of the hitters in terms of skill level. I can't tell the age, but it seems maybe 12 or 14U. Those hitters are completely flummoxed, swinging at balls over their heads or curving way out of the zone.

Around me I still see so much emphasis on speed at the early ages, and yes speed can beat hitters too obviously. But the emphasis here on spin and movement also beats hitters in early age groups as evidenced and is so valuable as pitchers move up and their ability to spin the ball gets complemented by greater strength and length.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06