Cues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
I was sort of mentally cataloging the various hitting cues, and there are many, into the good, the bad and the ugly. I know little of pitching and was wondering what are some good cues and bad cues for pitching?

What do you consider useful chatter from a coach during a game? Is it best for him to just keep quiet and let the pitcher work?

Jul 5, 2011
Actually, every now and again I do tell one of my pitchers to "just throw strikes" if she's struggling because it's an inside joke. We talked about how ludicrous it was for coaches/parents to say that and it never fails to bring a smile to her face. Other than that, I really try to not say much at all to pitchers during the game. Maybe a "you've got this" every now and again just to override the advice they get from the coaches in the stands.

As far as very beginner practice cues, for my DD I used things like "nose behind your chest" for the ubiquitous forward bend, "arm circle" for when the circle got off plane, "get open" and "stay open" for obvious reasons. I suppose whether they're good or not is debatable. They seemed to work for her. As she progressed, I wanted her to self-correct so instead of telling her what she did wrong via cues, I asked her to her tell me. More times than not, she knew. I really liked it when she told me before I could ask her.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
As a coach, if you don't know exactly what your pitcher is currently working on with PC there are no good cues aside from just being positive. Talk to her between innings, help her feel good about being in the circle and ask her what is and isn't working for her.

As the parent of a pitcher, ask DD of she wants cues from you. If she does, ask her what they are and if she doesn't, let her deal with the pitching for herself. Again, be positive in your cheering.

Feb 8, 2011
St. Louis, MO
My husband says "Your form looks good" when the ump calls a ball and he thinks it looked like a strike. She is only 10U and this has helped her settle down when she knows the pitch was good and she got a bad call.

Feb 17, 2011
My husband says "Your form looks good" when the ump calls a ball and he thinks it looked like a strike. She is only 10U and this has helped her settle down when she knows the pitch was good and she got a bad call.

We always say "good miss, make them cover the whole strike zone"

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
As to cues...what ever the DD is working on. Before IR and when she was younger our cues were for her to think before each pitch...Breath, Upright, Power Line, Open/Close. Now her cues are...Breath, Powerline, Strong Resistance, Accelerate. There were other cues...between first example and second example as she has progressed.

As to coach chatter...Our TB coach doesn't say much while she pitches. He usually only says something after a strikeout. Our HS AC talks all the time..mostly positive. She tunes most of it out, most of the time...so I don't think it matters but just stay positive if something is said. During games...i don't think its a good practice for coaches to give cue whether hitting or pitching except off to the side.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Strong front side resistance. Hitting the wall...when pitcher goes from toe touch to heel drop and all forward momentum stops. No popping up or stepping thru so she gets maximum arm whip.

We do as someone else suggested on this site. She is suppose to be seeing a small circle in the catchers mitt.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Several years ago we had an opposing coach that would two or three times an inning call out to his pitcher, "Haley, what are you doing?". I would cringe every time I heard him. Several tournaments later I asked him why was he shouting that phrase to the pitcher. He started laughing then told me it was an inside joke with all his pitchers. The phrase came out of his mouth after what he thought was a strike and the pu called it a ball. The joke with his pitchers was that they were throwing it too fast for the pu to see. He said it always relaxed and refocused his pitchers. Whatever works, as long as it is positive.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
We always say "good miss, make them cover the whole strike zone"

Same here Good Miss for when I think it should be a strike. Good Miss, you're right on it for the ones that hit the backstop or bounce 2 feet in front of the plate. That gets her to laugh and relax a bit.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06