Critique / Help Series of Swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Posey's launch is rearward....Torres launch is around.

Torres was given a dose of "connection" meaning that the barrel turns with the shoulders....Posey's hands/wrists/forearms are immediately working to put the barrel in motion early....early bat speed vs late bat speed....

Posey's shoulders laterally tilt - Torres shoulders rotate....Posey gets behind his rear leg.....Torres goes around it....

SlotCompare.gif

I don't see as many differences as you do, such as shoulder angle. However, there is one significant difference that allows Posey's knob to come foward, but produce less bat head movement. That difference is obvious. Posey's hands are held higher, and the bat rotates above his shoulder, where as Torres bat rotates outside (near) his deltoids. Posey's load involves a higher back elbow, in the gifs and a greater degree of bat wrap. Torres has a slightly more bent front elbow, but that has no effect in the gifs as it starts more flexed. I would venture to say that if you had both gifs the same size and same height, or compared movement, both their shoulders move equally. Posey stays a little more loaded when he gets to the hip it would appear, because of less bat head movement. What I would be curious about, is if the two pitches are at the same height? Because my guess would be Torres pitch is lower. That changes the swing arc. Could be a difference in style. I have no complaints about either swing. Can Posey always keep this load factor, or launch as you say? If so, he must keep his hands above his shoulder to allow the bat head to stay on top of the shoulder. Can you supply both AB's with full slow motion?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
[video=youtube_share;GR7tSfV5myo]http://youtu.be/GR7tSfV5myo[/video]

Refreshing. Besides you (crankermo), that guy in background sounds genuinely impressed with you DD's swing.

Brooke has some impressive bat head speed. How does her swing change for inside pitches. Do you have any batting tee work on waist high or above inside pitches?

Feb 14, 2010
Steve,

Brooke flat crushes the inside pitch up/down doesn't matter. There was a video I posted on here of her hitting a high rise, literally shoulder high and tight, for a game winning HR this past HS fall season, which by the way is not a recipe for success @ the Gold/Premiere level, kids lay off the rise, lol.

Her biggest hole used to be low and outside but now she become pretty proficient at driving it. We really worked on using her hands more effectively, she used to be really bad about rotating to contact and not turning the barrel which in turn left her suspect to the low and outside and damn near killing whoever was coaching third, lol.

I will try and get some new video up soon. I've given her off this week to recharge a little.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Steve,

Brooke flat crushes the inside pitch up/down doesn't matter. There was a video I posted on here of her hitting a high rise, literally shoulder high and tight, for a game winning HR this past HS fall season, which by the way is not a recipe for success @ the Gold/Premiere level, kids lay off the rise, lol.

Her biggest hole used to be low and outside but now she become pretty proficient at driving it. We really worked on using her hands more effectively, she used to be really bad about rotating to contact and not turning the barrel which in turn left her suspect to the low and outside and damn near killing whoever was coaching third, lol.

I will try and get some new video up soon. I've given her off this week to recharge a little.

Crankermo, i would be very proud, a great swing. And a very proud dad, from listening to the vid.

I would like to ask some questions. i hate messing with threads. but my need to know overwhelms me.

Your path to get where you ended up. You could save, so much time and frustration, wrong turns,( which might have helped along the way).
I have two dds. there are thousands like us.

Mar 12, 2009
Thank you MTS, just trying to help the masses to see the different use of words of describing the launch. Since you and Steve Huff are the major debators here. The advice for knights dd really showed improvement. I was amazed when I got back from the weekend and this thread took off. Also very impressed with her initial swing to the lastest. From a few drills that the dad took and tried himself and related this for his dd. Awesome start knightsb.

To the untrained eye and maybe even the trained eye for that matter these two "launches" look so similar it's scary so my question is this...what kind of differences are we talking? 5 ft on a long ball, 10 points on a batting average? I'm not being sarcastic and I really would like to here some ideas. There's just so much debate but too me it seems both sides create a high level swing.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Steve,

Agreed on the rise. I teach my hitters to get in the back of the box against a girl like Dallas Escobedo or Angela Tincher, examples who are predominantly rise-ball pitchers, and look at any pitch that looks like it is above the sternum. They don't bite. The ones who mix it up more are a bigger problem.

I think your daughter looks like she can crush any pitch. I like her. I don't know her size or bat weights, but she has developed some great bat speed. Maybe Brooke and Olivia should play together and set an example. I am just curious about her bat path on high inside pitches. You look at Braun, his swing path is not the same on an inside and outside pitch. No ones is! Actually that is a big source of my discussions or disagreements here. Some of it may be terminology too! Another part is comparing apples to oranges; pitch locations, angles and getting fooled on pitches. Your daughter can repeat her swing on an outside pitch. That leaves no doubt about her swing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet