Critique / Help Series of Swings - Part 2

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
I didn't want to hijack the "Stop Squishing The Bug" thread, but bullethead had a good point.

I have no agenda hidden or otherwise. I haven't ripped on anyone that says stuff that doesn't work for me, but I will not hesitate to recommend things that have proven beneficial if it will accelerate some other dad's learning process.

My honest assessment is that there are many posters that simply think "it is my way or the highway" and when new ideas are proffered they simply say that is some stupid s**t and never get off their posterior and try to duplicate

bullethead, well said. Before my DDs hitting thread which was posted on 01/28/2013, I had never even heard of HI. Had never been to the website. Had never heard of SnF. I was never a BB player, just played some rec slow pitch. Honestly, I am not very good at swinging the bat. I have learned the Hansen Principle over the years on this site and use it to help guide my DD through this process.

The Hanson Principle (… the one to use)
“Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world”.
-- Mark Hanson

Sometimes certain examples or instruction just clicks with one person where is might not with another. I got lucky that MTS and redhotcoach took an interest in my DDs thread and we tried some of their suggestions. I am in no position to tell someone else that this process will work for them, I just hope parents use the Hanson Principle, and keep an open mind to reasonable suggestions.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Nice job, Olivia on the improved swings and Knight for the soundtrack!!

RE: lower back - I agree with Marcus that it looks very improved....but.....she still has an internal timing issue to work out - giving up a little too quick....still jumping at the ball a bit......which is awesome as it allows for even more improvement.

The bat turning looks really good - the back arm and barrel connection are much tighter and the front arm issue is pretty much gone....

Excellent work - please tell Olivia awesome job and that as much she may dislike the deep tee - she should keep challenging herself with it. How far back is the tee set?

Ray

Knightsb, how did you fix the front arm barring?

Jun 18, 2010
Knightsb, how did you fix the front arm barring?
DD is a visual learner. I gave her two queues with supporting visual aids:

1. The back elbow is connected to the barrel of the bat. Visual: when her back elbow moves down, so does the tip of the barrel.

Watch the back arm and barrel - they move at the same time as if their is a steel rod connecting his elbow to the barrel tip

2. "Turn the Triangle" and try and maintain the triangle. Visual: I used this gif provided by MTS.

LarsenTriangleG_zps155454d6.gif

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2011
The swing is looking much better, I would be very happy with the progress. Two little things will help IMO. She is still catching the ball to far out front, and the right arm never finishes, she never reaches extension with the right arm.

Keep up the good work, I see a lot of good things happening!!

Jun 18, 2010
VLOG from 03/13/2013:

1. We are working on staying more connected through the swing.
2. We are working on loading into the stride vs load then stride then swing.
3. DD and I have watched a bunch of swings, and are using Braun as a baseline for comparison.

ovsr2.gif

Drills we are doing:

1. Step behind walk throughs.
2. Rear leg only.
3. SnF
4. Deep tee.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Knight, have you talked to her about scap circling yet?

I know it's not listed in what she is working on above, but if I hadn't seen her before, the first thing I thought from this video was "back/scap" and resistance lacking a bit.

Jun 18, 2010
Knight, have you talked to her about scap circling yet?

I know it's not listed in what she is working on above, but if I hadn't seen her before, the first thing I thought from this video was "back/scap" and resistance lacking a bit.

That's a good question. I misunderstood the concept of Scap Circling and set us back a week.... I was telling Olivia to literally circle her scap which resulted in her circling her rear shoulder. I touched base with TM and he provided some great feedback on the relationship of the Scap Clamp (SC) and rotating over the back hip. I know we have some room for improvement in SC and swinging with a fused torso. That's going to be the main focus over the next few weeks.

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
HPP.gif
EPP.gif

good........................................................................................................not good
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ovsr2.gif

RHC, I'm scared was just going to PM Knight. I will post it here instead.

Are you saying you see an elbow pivot point instead of a hand pivot point.

Sorry...verizon still hasn't boosted my power, so it is taking several minutes to load gifs on my iphone.

Knight, I do like everything you listed you guys were working on...it is so much for them! At least the season will be full on soon and they can just work on hitting the ball.

Jun 18, 2010
Knight, I do like everything you listed you guys were working on...it is so much for them! At least the season will be full on soon and they can just work on hitting the ball.

You got that right! The part I hate is misinterpreting something and having that set us back. I will tell you that as "feelings" go, she says she has a better feeling for the swing now than just a couple months ago. We are supposed to play a week from Saturday so I need to tone back my tinkering a bit ;-)

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Just when I thought it was safe to read the technical hitting posts...

Can someone explain how I can get DD to feel the difference between having a hand vs. an elbow pivot point?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles