Critique / Help Series of Swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2013
Secondly, I do not think the swings are mutually exclusive, and never insinuated so. I believe they have nuances that make them different. Most baseball players lean back at contact. Softball players do not. Well, when you can't debate, obfuscate! I never said she didn't have enough extension. I said that grip has a tendency to limit extension (cause the top had to roll early). When the back elbow gets to the hip, where is the bat head? You release there, and the swing covers just as much of the zone as launching the bat head. It is just shorter, compact, more controlled, and does not commit the bat head early. It also keeps the wrists loaded, and launching can not maintain these positives.

In summation, don't obfuscate the points. It will make you look smarter.

I'm interested in your description of baseball players leaning back at contact and softball players not doing that.

Why are baseball and softball hitters different?

R

RayR

Which direction? Simple question.

And please stop trying to tell me what I am teaching - you have no clue...

First the front forearm would be straight as you advocate.

I was not aware the front forearm could be anything but straight....is there a hinge or ball joint in your forearm?

It is moving around the shoulders, following the hands as they change orientation, bat knob from catcher to pitcher. The bat maintains CONNECTION (orientation) to the shoulder. This is not what you are teaching. First the front forearm would be straight as you advocate. Secondly the bat head is not moving, independently in some act, changing as I have said 1000 times, the relationship of the bat, hands, shoulders, and that arm frame. If there is not change of relationship, there can be NO launch.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2013
"Launching" the bat head. Breaking the connection between bat head and shoulder, and the frame between arms, shoulder, and bat. You will have to go back and watch what he teaches. Some is good, like hitting outside pitches deeper in the zone. To some extent it is even simulated in his mechanics, not all. He teaches "coiling" instead of rear hip driving the hands to the ball. This would make you more vulnerable to inside pitches as well.

I'm confused. I thought MTS taught coiling to help drive the rear hip.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
You're kidding, right? You teach what is being taught at roughly the 2:30 mark?

The palm up palm down? The elbow relationship? The elbow at hip? Or the hands moving down to contact point? His hands moving down to contact point is a little exaggerated by he didn't vacate his hips. He is straight up and down, not matching his swing to his shoulders. For teaching purposes. In general, EXACTLY! And that is what is amazing to me. You defy ever college coach in baseball and softball in the country. You defy every international coach. And Chris O'Leary. You defy professional coaches and players, because you know better. Through me, you now think you can assail this coach, who has forgotten more than you will ever know at this rate. And you are sitting there thinking, I, as in me, is arrogant! The burden is on you, not us.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Which direction? Simple question.

And please stop trying to tell me what I am teaching - you have no clue...

I was not aware the front forearm could be anything by straight....is there a hinge or ball joint in your forearm?

You know I meant the whole front arm. You told me knighsb's daughter had no barring problem. A second time you mentioned barring is not a problem. I have mentioned this over and over again. You never claimed any different than your original assessments.

R

RayR

No - I said that if she learned to launch correctly the front arm would not be an issue....I did not say that I teach a barred front arm....if you are going to insult me at least get my words correct....

You know I meant the whole front arm. You told me knighsb's daughter had no barring problem. A second time you mentioned barring is not a problem. I have mentioned this over and over again. You never claimed any different than your original assessments.

Feb 3, 2013
Almost everything! Turtle Thomas is very good. If I outline this question, then it will take another 200 posts. You need to go back and read the pertinent posts to get a feel for the differences. It isn't Turtle Thomas, it is all professional coaches who do not accept his teaching except one guy named Teacherman teaches something similar. I can't find his videos. I think they are removed. The second video shows nice sequential parts of the swing, as I have prescribed!

Instantly Increase your Baseball Hitting Power - YouTube

Do you do either of the drills in this video you posted?

Feb 3, 2013

Why do you say that knighsb's daughter has a barring problem?

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm interested in your description of baseball players leaning back at contact and softball players not doing that.

Why are baseball and softball hitters different?

Because baseball players intentionally try to get lift, except small guys who are punch and judy hitters, who do not try to lean back. Baseball only has one pitch plane; down! Softball has down and up. How do you hit a riseball leaning back?

R

RayR

SteveHuff, here are my words

The issue is not her front arm....all working on her front arm will do is increase the amount she pushes her hands/arms through the swing....like doing a bench press....which requires you to hit the ball out in front....way out front....

Once she learns to hit the ball deeper, control the stride with her back leg and launch the barrel in the correct direction by using her back arm better she will be fine....she can learn to use her back to swing and not her chest....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1