Critique / Help Series of Swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2013
Here is a video that visually explains what I am saying with slow motion breakdown and analysis.

How to Avoid Bat Drag - How The Best Hitters in Baseball Use Their Hands - YouTube

knightsb, this video reminds me of the video where DD hit the batting tee.

How to Avoid Bat Drag - How The Best Hitters in Baseball Use Their Hands - YouTube

As I have said, "the swing does not change, inside pitch or outside pitch". Orientation changes.

Hitting the Baseball to All Fields - YouTube

Discusses barred front arm. Perhaps MTS should watch this also. Has an excellent "load" drill.

Hitting Drills - Setting the Hands with The Bat - YouTube

What do you believe that MTS is teaching that is different than Turtle Thomas?

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
See Steve, the problem is you really don't understand the launch nor what it does for a hitter....you want swings out in front giving the hitter a shorter hitting zone and applaud them for it thinking there is a fastpitch swing and a baseball swing and they are mutually exclusive....all because you think you hit a rise ball differently from every other pitch....hands high and chop down....

How much more "extension" does this hitter need to satisfy you? Also, when is the sweep occurring in this swing?

RB1-27-13G_zps6ba3ce2a.gif

So, I asked this before but you didn't answer - from frames 1-3 which way is the barrel moving?
3124d1359863987t-critique-help-series-swings-hit-sequence.jpg

Secondly, I do not think the swings are mutually exclusive, and never insinuated so. I believe they have nuances that make them different. Most baseball players lean back at contact. Softball players do not. Well, when you can't debate, obfuscate! I never said she didn't have enough extension. I said that grip has a tendency to limit extension (cause the top had to roll early). When the back elbow gets to the hip, where is the bat head? You release there, and the swing covers just as much of the zone as launching the bat head. It is just shorter, compact, more controlled, and does not commit the bat head early. It also keeps the wrists loaded, and launching can not maintain these positives.

In summation, don't obfuscate the points. It will make you look smarter.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
What is MTS saying that is different than Mike Candrea, Sue Enquist, Mike Epstein, Chris O'Leary, Raph Weekly, Ken Eriksen, etc?

"Launching" the bat head. Breaking the connection between bat head and shoulder, and the frame between arms, shoulder, and bat. You will have to go back and watch what he teaches. Some is good, like hitting outside pitches deeper in the zone. To some extent it is even simulated in his mechanics, not all. He teaches "coiling" instead of rear hip driving the hands to the ball. This would make you more vulnerable to inside pitches as well.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Here is a video that visually explains what I am saying with slow motion breakdown and analysis.

knightsb, this video reminds me of the video where DD hit the batting tee.

As I have said, "the swing does not change, inside pitch or outside pitch". Orientation changes.

Hitting the Baseball to All Fields - YouTube

Discusses barred front arm. Perhaps MTS should watch this also. Has an excellent "load" drill.

Hitting Drills - Setting the Hands with The Bat - YouTube

STEVE! That video is from the same series that I posted a dozen pages ago that you dogged on!

rdbass, you may not want to get involved, but this is the old snap the wrists, snap the bat barrel debate. Which came first, the wrists or the barrel? Try snapping the barrel without using your wrists. Try keeping the bat from forming an arc around the shoulder. Unless it is a noodle it is going to wrap around the shoulder. If you had NO bat wrap, there would be almost no arc or "circle" around the shoulder. The more bat wrap behind the head, the more the bat has to travel in that arc to get behind the hands. Pointed at catcher, pointed at pitcher! The bat head tip does not travel independently in any of those gifs. It is moved into that position behind the hands by hip rotation, which alone accomplishes most of it. The connection to the hip brings the barrel down to assume a palm up, palm down hand position. That isn't too complex.

R

RayR

Most baseball players lean back at contact. Softball players do not. Well, when you can't debate, obfuscate!
....no one in fastpitch leans back

Benyi_zps844cd272.jpg

Bustos_zps48c90d5d.jpg

Mendoza_zps4f34518c.jpg

Tyson_zpsc057575f.jpg

Secondly, I do not think the swings are mutually exclusive, and never insinuated so. I believe they have nuances that make them different. Most baseball players lean back at contact. Softball players do not. Well, when you can't debate, obfuscate! I never said she didn't have enough extension. I said that grip has a tendency to limit extension (cause the top had to roll early). When the back elbow gets to the hip, where is the bat head? You release there, and the swing covers just as much of the zone as launching the bat head. It is just shorter, compact, more controlled, and does not commit the bat head early. It also keeps the wrists loaded, and launching can not maintain these positives.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
What do you believe that MTS is teaching that is different than Turtle Thomas?

Almost everything! Turtle Thomas is very good. If I outline this question, then it will take another 200 posts. You need to go back and read the pertinent posts to get a feel for the differences. It isn't Turtle Thomas, it is all professional coaches who do not accept his teaching except one guy named Teacherman teaches something similar. I can't find his videos. I think they are removed. The second video shows nice sequential parts of the swing, as I have prescribed!

Instantly Increase your Baseball Hitting Power - YouTube

Baseball Hitting: Basic Hitting Mechanics - YouTube

Last edited:
R

RayR

I will ask a third time...

In the photo you have used....in frames 1-3 which direction is the barrel moving?

Hitsequence1_zpsb7108a39.jpg

R

RayR

You're kidding, right? You teach what is being taught at roughly the 2:30 mark?

Almost everything! Turtle Thomas is very good. If I outline this question, then it will take another 200 posts. You need to go back and read the pertinent posts to get a feel for the differences. It isn't Turtle Thomas, it is all professional coaches who do not accept his teaching except one guy named Teacherman teaches something similar. I can't find his videos. I think they are removed. The second video shows nice sequential parts of the swing, as I have prescribed!

Instantly Increase your Baseball Hitting Power - YouTube

Baseball Hitting: Basic Hitting Mechanics - YouTube

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I will ask a third time...

In the photo you have used....in frames 1-3 which direction is the barrel moving?

Hitsequence1_zpsb7108a39.jpg

It is moving around the shoulders, following the hands as they change orientation, bat knob from catcher to pitcher. The bat maintains CONNECTION (orientation) to the shoulder. This is not what you are teaching. First the front forearm would be straight as you advocate. Secondly the bat head is not moving, independently in some act, changing as I have said 1000 times, the relationship of the bat, hands, shoulders, and that arm frame. If there is not change of relationship, there can be NO launch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1