creative use of DP/FLEX?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
scenario: we have a player coming back from injury (ankle) that we want her bat in the lineup, but want to limit her play as a fielder and/or Runner.

solutiion: put this player in the Pitcher position. Immediately place the DP to physically pitch the game, and move Pitcher to Bench. FLEX is the 2B and will not bat. When the Pitcher position bats, if she reaches base, she may have a "curteosy runner" without it being a substitution per tournament rules.

question: does the "curteosy runner" rule apply to the Pitcher *position* or to the Player who is actually pitching (DP in this case)?

thanks.

Jun 22, 2008
The pitching position is the player physically playing the position. Just because you designate the DP as the pitcher does not mean they keep that designation after you remove them from the position. For courtesy runner purposes, the pitcher and the catcher are the players to have last physically played the position except for the top of the first inning in which it is the players who are listed in those positions on the lineup card. If a courtesy runner is used for these players in the top half of the 1st inning, they must face the first batter in the bottom half of the 1st inning for at least 1 pitch. And, to have a courtesy runner, the pitcher and catcher must earn their own way on base. In other words, you cant pinch hit for the pitcher or catcher, then re-enter the pitcher/catcher and then request a courtesy runner.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
scenario: we have a player coming back from injury (ankle) that we want her bat in the lineup, but want to limit her play as a fielder and/or Runner.

solutiion: put this player in the Pitcher position. Immediately place the DP to physically pitch the game, and move Pitcher to Bench. FLEX is the 2B and will not bat. When the Pitcher position bats, if she reaches base, she may have a "curteosy runner" without it being a substitution per tournament rules.

question: does the "curteosy runner" rule apply to the Pitcher *position* or to the Player who is actually pitching (DP in this case)?

thanks.

Sounds like you want her to bat, but not run the bases or play the field. That kind of limits your options.

You could put her in the lineup as the DP where she would bat, but not play defense. If she gets on base, you could enter a substitute to run for her, then re-enter her as the DP the next time she is due to bat. however, if she gets on base again and you sub for her, she will no longer be eligible to play in that game.

Oct 16, 2012
Sounds like you want her to bat, but not run the bases or play the field. That kind of limits your options.

You could put her in the lineup as the DP where she would bat, but not play defense. If she gets on base, you could enter a substitute to run for her, then re-enter her as the DP the next time she is due to bat. however, if she gets on base again and you sub for her, she will no longer be eligible to play in that game.
Same idea but if she reaches a base you can also enter your flex to run (reducing your line up to 9). You have 1 re-entry left for both players, plus you still have your sub available. She will still only be able to bat twice if she reaches a base and you use the flex or sub as a runner. I use this with my hitter and the DP and a fast sacrifice bunter as the flex. If you do this, just don't re-enter the DP until you know you definitely want her to hit.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008
Same idea but if she reaches a base you can also enter your flex to run (reducing your line up to 9). You have 1 re-entry left for both players, plus you still have your sub available. She will still only be able to bat twice if she reaches a base and you use the flex or sub as a runner. I use this with my hitter and the DP and a fast sacrifice bunter as the flex. If you do this, just don't re-enter the DP until you know you definitely want her to hit.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

In the situation you just described, your flex running for your DP, the flex has not left the game and does not have to use a re-entry to move back to simply being the flex. The only player that has left the game and would need to re-enter is the DP.

May 17, 2012
If a courtesy runner is used for these players in the top half of the 1st inning, they must face the first batter in the bottom half of the 1st inning for at least 1 pitch.

Is this new and does it apply to all rule sets? I thought there was a thread on DFP that discussed this very scenario and I don't recall the pitcher having to throw at least be pitch. Seems abitrary.

Comp is always right I just want to verify.

Jun 22, 2008
Is this new and does it apply to all rule sets? I thought there was a thread on DFP that discussed this very scenario and I don't recall the pitcher having to throw at least be pitch. Seems abitrary.

Comp is always right I just want to verify.

I would have to double check USSSA, but ASA and NFHS do have statements about the pitcher and catcher are identified on the lineup in the top of the 1st inning. Now, ASA does not appear to list any penalty if those players do not play the position starting the bottom half of the 1st inning but will check their case plays and clarifications. NFHS does, however, have a case play stating if they do not come out to play those positions in the bottom half of the 1st, they are considered to be illegal substitutes. NFHS does also state if either player is injured and cannot start the bottom half of the 1st inning, there is no penalty.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
DP/Flex strategies aside, why not give her more time to heal? Twice in the last 6 months I have seen a girl try to return too quickly to play. One lost about three months of time after aggravating an elbow injury and then had to give up pitching. The other re-injured her ankle just yesterday and may miss an additional two months or more now. If your player is having trouble running, are you sure it's worth the risk?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah