Could pitching cause this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 15, 2011
My dd is 12 she has been pitching since 9 I have recently noticed her collar bone on her pitching arm side is deforming. I took her to the dr. yesterday and he measured it and it is getting bigger than her other side. I asked him if pitching would cause this he said no but just wondering if any one else might have heard of this? Thanks

Apr 25, 2010
Since I don't think many of us here are doctors, I would trust your doctor's opinion on this.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
My dd is 12 she has been pitching since 9 I have recently noticed her collar bone on her pitching arm side is deforming. I took her to the dr. yesterday and he measured it and it is getting bigger than her other side. I asked him if pitching would cause this he said no but just wondering if any one else might have heard of this? Thanks

Do you mean that the collar bone on her throwing side is getting LONGER than the one on her glove side?:confused:

If it is LONGER, this sounds like a growth playe issue here. There are growth plates on the ends of your bones and that is what makes them grow. They can be damaged and even separated from the bone and that can cause the bone to stop growing.

Has she ever had an injury to her shoulder or collar bone on the glove side?

Another possiblity.

The collar bone kind of floats where it meets the shoulder. It is not uncommon for the muscles on the throwing side to tighten and actually pull the shoulder a little closer to the spine on that side. This is almost always accompanied by some irritation / pain in the shoulder and even in the lower part of the neck. This is as I understand it as it was explained to me by an Ortho surgeon that worked on my shoulder after a truck wreck many years ago damaged my shoulder.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2011
Well one sile isnt growing longer than the other one side is getting thincker than the other and sticking further out her chest it is very noticeable. she had also lost 10 pounds so that makes it a little more noticeable. Dr wants her back in 2 weeks and if it is changing he wants to do ct scan.. I just didnt know if any one else could have experienced this or knows some one . I just dont want her to be doing something that could possible hurt her in the future.

Sep 15, 2011
She has no pain. I talked to a chiropracer today who said it could cause her collar bone to deform. now im confused she goes back in 2 weeks and he may do ct scan not sure he did xray already said it is noticily getting bigger on right side but as long as it dosent get bigger or cause pain he wasnt worried.

Mar 26, 2010
Pain or no pain-- I would have her see an orthopaedic surgeon for a second opinion, preferably one who specializes in sports medicine or shoulder/arm issues. This would be their area of specialty:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors