Correcting Umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2014
Only one person on the field is entitled to know "where the pitch was", and that's the catcher. If you as a coach want to know, ask or signal to the catcher to find out. This applies to the count as well..I can't cite section and rule, but UIC said only the catcher is "entitled" to this information. The reason makes sense...the catcher is 2 feet away. Badgering and discussions from the coaches takes away from the enjoyment of the game for everyone else. The best way for a head coach to communicate his displeasure with a call or series of calls, is to approach the umpire..stand side by side, remove your lineup card, and while looking at the lineup the card, gently voice your concerns. Then..hustle back to third. It's amazing how actively not trying to show up the ump works to your benefit.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Only one person on the field is entitled to know "where the pitch was", and that's the catcher. If you as a coach want to know, ask or signal to the catcher to find out. This applies to the count as well..I can't cite section and rule, but UIC said only the catcher is "entitled" to this information. The reason makes sense...the catcher is 2 feet away. Badgering and discussions from the coaches takes away from the enjoyment of the game for everyone else. The best way for a head coach to communicate his displeasure with a call or series of calls, is to approach the umpire..stand side by side, remove your lineup card, and while looking at the lineup the card, gently voice your concerns. Then..hustle back to third. It's amazing how actively not trying to show up the ump works to your benefit.

I'm not surprised!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Umpiring is much harder than it looks. For those of you with 14u and older teams. See if you can get yourself and your players to volunteer at some rec. games as field umpires. This will shine a whole new light on how you view blue's in the future.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not that it is a reason to be nice to them but we see the same umpires all the time, year after year. It is really stupid to get on the wrong side of them. I would be nice to them even if I never saw them again, just saying.

Oct 22, 2009
Having bad umpires is part of the game. You'll always have them.

When my DD was in college her head coach would get so irritated at the umpires, she'd get in their faces just like the major leagues. I remember once when she came out of the dugout and threw the rule book across the field yelling, "I don't know why they bother printing these if you guys refuse to read them!" It was damn funny.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
The field ump was out of line, no doubt. What you should do is take this as an opportunity to evaluate your actions. It's obvious that you have a reputation and that reputation is hurting your team. Sometimes we have to look in the mirror.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Umpiring is much harder than it looks. For those of you with 14u and older teams. See if you can get yourself and your players to volunteer at some rec. games as field umpires. This will shine a whole new light on how you view blue's in the future.

I tried this once, as I mentioned in a previous post. One of DD #1's friends requested that I never again ump a game.

Once, an elderly umpire told me he would love to ump his last game from the stands. It took me a few seconds to get it. Of course, everyone in the stands knows they can see the play better than the umpire.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
The field ump was out of line, no doubt. What you should do is take this as an opportunity to evaluate your actions. It's obvious that you have a reputation and that reputation is hurting your team. Sometimes we have to look in the mirror.

Obvious I have a reputation?

It was the first time we played in that state, first tournament and very first game. I had never seen these umpires before, and last year, I was the 1st base coach, not the Manager of the team. So, I highly doubt its because I have a reputation. Now, in my home state, I would like to think WE, as in my team and organization, have a good reputation. This is going on how the UICs, directors, other Coaches and the Umpires interact with us all. When there is a question, its talked about and the answer is found, unlike what happened in this case.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Obvious I have a reputation?

It was the first time we played in that state. I had never seen these umpires before, and last year, I was the 1st base coach, not the Manager of the team. So, I highly doubt its because I have a reputation.

Then I apologize. Was just going off of your post. How would 1 instance lead the umpire to make that statement?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi