Correcting Umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
My 3 rules:
1. Never argue or approach Blue angry (or at least hide the anger)
2. Arguing a judgement call will never get it to go your way.. asking for clarification on a judgement call so you understand the call (even if you know damn well what the call was) will at least let Blue know you didnt like the call and may help you in the balance of the game...specially when the blue knows he fubared a call
3. Arguing a rule call may go your way only if you approach blue with a smile and keep the tone friendly and the voice down... it wont win the aholes over but it will likely get the other 99% of the blues to consider your argument

And to the OP looks like you ran into the 1%... not much you can do with those...

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
So here is the situation.
We were playing a 10u "C" USSSA tournament.

Batter gets walked, then proceeds to steal 2nd base. I call time and tell the home plate ump that is not allowed. He says that he doesn't umpire 10u and isn't sure, I need to show him in writing. Well, I cant find it quick enough to get the play reversed, so he says we will play on and he will ask head ump after game.....

At this point, you need to use the two magic words....I Protest.

Call the UIC, or head ump as you referred to him/her, over to the field and have him provide a ruling right then and there. That is what s/he is there for.

As for the other umpire....yeah, he probably should have kept his opinion to himself in the first place.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
asking for clarification on a judgement call so you understand the call (even if you know damn well what the call was) will at least let Blue know you didnt like the call and may help you in the balance of the game...specially when the blue knows he fubared a call...

Depending on the umpire, this will be a guaranteed invitation to visit the parking lot.

There are no clarifications of judgment calls (fair/foul, out/safe, ball/strike, etc.). If you believe the umpire has made an incorrect rules interpretation, you as a coach better be able to cite the appropriate rule and why the umpire's interpretation of the rule was incorrect. This also includes if you as a coach decide to use the magic words "I protest".

May 4, 2014
So Cal
Depending on the umpire, this will be a guaranteed invitation to visit the parking lot.

There are no clarifications of judgment calls (fair/foul, out/safe, ball/strike, etc.). If you believe the umpire has made an incorrect rules interpretation, you as a coach better be able to cite the appropriate rule and why the umpire's interpretation of the rule was incorrect. This also includes if you as a coach decide to use the magic words "I protest".

By clarification I meant in the lines of: Was that a ball because it was high or outside?...
A walk to the parking lot would be if you were to add the following to the above question: or is it that you are so damn blind you cant tell an armpit from a bellybutton :)

Jul 30, 2013
With all of all the rule exceptions at 10U tournaments, the coaches need to make sure they are addressed in the pre-game meeting. It would be nice if every umpire took the time to become familiar with the rules of the game they are working, but I have come to not expect that.

Jun 22, 2008
By clarification I meant in the lines of: Was that a ball because it was high or outside?...
A walk to the parking lot would be if you were to add the following to the above question: or is it that you are so damn blind you cant tell an armpit from a bellybutton :)

Walking out and privately asking the umpire may not be construed as questiong the strike zone, yelling it from the dugout for everyone to hear is questioning the zone.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Walking out and privately asking the umpire may not be construed as questiong the strike zone, yelling it from the dugout for everyone to hear is questioning the zone.

I saw a great little feature a few years ago on MLB Network on how to handle these situations without showing up the ump. A few that I remember were:

-Without her turning around toward the umpire, have the catcher ask where the ball missed
-Have the pitcher ask for a new ball, but have her come halfway to the plate and quietly ask the ump where the last pitch was
-After the inning is over, the pitcher takes a slight detour toward the plate and says something like, "Hey, I thought that one pitch was pretty good, where did you have it?"

DS once asked an ump where his pitch missed, only the umpire didn't hear him. After waiting a few seconds for an answer that wasn't coming, he got a lecture about staring down the umpire.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
That reminds me of a story. A rookie MLB pitcher is having a rough time with the strike zone. After throwing a ball to this one hitter he makes a face, and the umpire says, "Young man, when you throw a strike Mr. DiMaggio will let you know it."

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
IMHO breaking out a rule book doesn't end well. If they didn't know the rule to start with you think they really want to be embarrassed by a coach with a rule book. Right or wrong were all human and no one likes getting embarrassed.

Now I agree with Ajay-just quietly say you protest the call and ask for the UIC quietly. Don't make a scene-let the UIC educate and train his umpire in a live game situation. If it looks like the UIC and the umpires had a discussion and the umpire reversed his own decision after that no one is embarrassed and the rule is enforced correctly-Win Win.

Be humble :)

Feb 3, 2011
Game situations help reinforce what we teach in practice, which is to get the ball right back to the pitcher. As soon as that runner rounded first, she was liable to be put out.

That said, she was going to steal 2B on the 1st pitch anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi