Controlling Pitchers Emotions.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I guess because my dd shows no emotion ever, even at 9, I forget that some kids do. I really mean it my dd still doesn't at 16yo at pitching or batting. She doesn't do the cheer thing and doesn't really talk at all playing softball. She is void of emotion, the quiet one. So no don't quit pitching,( Not that you would listen to a guy online anyways).

Kids - even siblings - are all wired differently.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
If you have to always try to control your emotions. Then quit pitching now. Just like getting pissed at your team mates because of a error. You don't belong in the circle. It is a team sport, SoAZDad if your dd gets pissed because of a team mates error then your dd doesn't belong out there. How many hits, walks or HB as your dd given up. She needs to get a grip if she gets pissed at her team mates.

Nano, you betcha it's a team sport. You make it sound like you never got pissed at any of your teammates, ever. That is hard to believe.

Oct 22, 2009
I guess because my dd shows no emotion ever, even at 9, I forget that some kids do. I really mean it my dd still doesn't at 16yo at pitching or batting. She doesn't do the cheer thing and doesn't really talk at all playing softball. She is void of emotion, the quiet one. So no don't quit pitching,( Not that you would listen to a guy online anyways).

Each one is so different. Like I mentioned in my above post my DD would give quite the face to the umpires at 12u. She learned to control it, and did become that robot. So bad in fact her college coach once asked her if she'd try to give some type of emotional on the rubber, which was quickly answered with sarcastic emotion from her, which caused the coach to tell her "Nevermind".:p

May 24, 2013
So Cal
To the OP: How do her coaches handle these moments of attitude? Have they considered pulling her out of the circle when she shows out? If you think this might be something she won't mature out of, and she can't/won't understand the importance of the pitcher's composure as leadership for the team, perhaps you should help her find another position. Not trying to be harsh, but a pitcher's mind is more important than physical skills. She has to learn to stay cool and in the moment, or will her success will be limited. If her emotions are in control, she is not.

Syndre is the HC of our team. When it is appropriate, she gets pulled. Most of the time, he asks her to regain her composure and deal with the next batter. WAY more often then not, she comes back harder.

Jul 1, 2010
It is a process. Stay with her without driving her nuts. Getting pulled by her HC could be a good thing if it is followed up on with a positive discussion of how much better she is when she is in control.

At one time mine was so bad that the umpire told the HC "if she rolls her eyes at my strike zone again, I'm tossing her".

That was five years ago. About a month ago her HS HC asked her if she really enjoyed pitching because she never showed any emotion.

Feb 7, 2013
You lost me at 50mph for a 9yo...have only seen 1 other player that fast at that age and I'm also located in SoCal.

Regarding controlling emotion, as she gets more time in the circle she will understand that it's not the end of the world if she or her teammates are not 100% every game. Let her know you are proud of her no matter what happens and that there will always be another game.

To the OP: How do her coaches handle these moments of attitude? Have they considered pulling her out of the circle when she shows out? If you think this might be something she won't mature out of, and she can't/won't understand the importance of the pitcher's composure as leadership for the team, perhaps you should help her find another position. Not trying to be harsh, but a pitcher's mind is more important than physical skills. She has to learn to stay cool and in the moment, or will her success will be limited. If her emotions are in control, she is not.

I am the HC and she has been pulled form a game, she doesnt do anything out of line, she just has bad body language, and may get watery eyed. She loves pitching there is no way she would give it up, although she does play other positions very well. You are not being harsh at all, I agree with you the mental part of pitching is very importatant, that is why I am trying to teach her how to deal with it now, she is only 9 so we have alot of time :)

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
I think it is more of being mad at the situation not her teammate. Im sure she didnt give the player a dirty look or say anything, I think the point he was making is she did not let the error rattle her, she kept her composure. A pitcher going after a player over an error would not be tolerated on my team, lose together win together.

You are correct, she was pissed at the situation. If she says anything to a teammate, it's positive or/and encouraging. Her MS season just ended and a parent of a newbie told me her daughter said my DD was always encouraging her after fielding errors and strikeouts, etc.

And no player should bash any teammate for an error. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish