Confront a coach or not to confront?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Just because your DD isn't the starting P as a freshman doesn't mean the HS coach doesn't care about her. Maybe the HS coach doesn't care for the family attitude. Maybe your DD isn't nearly as good as you think she is. Around here, a freshman starting on her 16U team doesn't mean much when it comes to Varsity. My youngest DD was a #1 on her 18 team and can't hardly get on the mound in HS as a SR. I'd say it's politics but I'm the coach.
This is so awesome. Thanks.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
A lot of high school coaches are really worthless...

What I'd like to know is how so many of you have access to my bank account? I did hear that someone tried to steal my identity and then when they found out what I was worth, they gave it back.
3151050941avatar

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I don't always agree with my DDs HS coach. But one thing I know you won't find a guy who is more committed to the team and to the school. The school put in new fields 10 years ago and I bet neither the V or the JV field has been mowed more then 5 times by anyone other then the V coach. I drive by and I see this guy on those fields from March/ April through October. During the HS BAskegtgball season he is at every game making popcorn and selling it to raise money for the softball team. He goes to watch the middle school and the HS JV volleyball and basketball games to see what the up and coming softball players do in the off season. The guy gets a check to coach, but he uses the money to buy uniforms, or bats, or new catcher gear... 20 years or so ago he started a travel org to help train the girls at 14 and HS ages. Now that program also includes 10u, 12U. He coached the HS age team until 4 years ago. The guy needs 2 knee replacement surgeries but won't do them because he doesn't want to take the time off of from the team...

Yeah I think the school could find a better coach, He's been around for 30 years and the game has moved a bit from his heyday, but probably won't find a better advocate for the program. Before people say how useless or worthless HS coaches are. You should really reconsider your statement and maybe make it a little less general and a lot more specific.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
....the kids that get all the playing time aren't always the best players..... Coaches have friends in our case and those friends kids get all the playing time also he has a travel team and all the kids that play for him get all the playing time (even though other kids play for other travel ball teams and are just as good and some are better)

P.S. kinda funny because this coach is win at every cost .....

So he doesn't play his best players, but he's a 'win-at-every-cost' coach. That doesn't add up.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
That's a very good question CB. If he's a win at all cost coach you would expect him to play the best players no matter what the parents think. So who's right? The parents who think that or the coach who is producing results? Then again, the coach could be playing others that are lesser than the best players and still winning depending on the competition. If the team is a powerhouse and they can win with lesser players in a weak division, this may add up just fine.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think I've finally figured out the basis for these "HS v TB" argument...

It is called 'self-selection bias'. (E.g., conducting a poll at the RNC and ask people if they think Reagan was a great president.)

The parents on this site generally understand the game and want to learn--otherwise they wouldn't be here. So, these parents find a good TB coach for their child. Often, they find great TB coaches. Their TB team almost always has a high winning percentage. When they go to a tournament, they see their coach...and then they are always playing late into the tournament against other good teams with good coaches. The bad coaches are usually long gone by Sunday.

But, when these parents get to HS, they have had no control in picking out the coach. So, then they are the mercy of the percentages--and they discover that their HS coach usually isn't as good as their TB. Why? Because the parents have a good TB coach, or else the parents wouldn't have paced their child on that TB team.

Thus, you have "self selection" bias--the parents on this site pick good TB coaches and find, not suprisingly, that the HS coach isn't as good as the TB coach.

If after you child gets out of TB , go watch a tourney. You will find scores of very bad coaches. The usual bad TB coach is the guy/gal who has no clue what is really going on, but pretends. (E.g., I saw one guy doing the "bare handed fielding drill", which is a good drill, but in his case he had the kids back at 60 feet and he was hitting liners to them.)

I have seen really good HS coaches. In HS, my kids played for probably a dozen different coaches. Of those dozen, there was one excellent coach, three good coaches, and the rest were mediocre to poor. (I'm not evaluating based on 'winning' and 'losing'--I'm evaluating what they did with the available talent.)

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I think I've finally figured out the basis for these "HS v TB" argument...

It is called 'self-selection bias'. (E.g., conducting a poll at the RNC and ask people if they think Reagan was a great president.)

The parents on this site generally understand the game and want to learn--otherwise they wouldn't be here. So, these parents find a good TB coach for their child. Often, they find great TB coaches. Their TB team almost always has a high winning percentage. When they go to a tournament, they see their coach...and then they are always playing late into the tournament against other good teams with good coaches. The bad coaches are usually long gone by Sunday.

But, when these parents get to HS, they have had no control in picking out the coach. So, then they are the mercy of the percentages--and they discover that their HS coach usually isn't as good as their TB. Why? Because the parents have a good TB coach, or else the parents wouldn't have paced their child on that TB team.

Thus, you have "self selection" bias--the parents on this site pick good TB coaches and find, not suprisingly, that the HS coach isn't as good as the TB coach.

If after you child gets out of TB , go watch a tourney. You will find scores of very bad coaches. The usual bad TB coach is the guy/gal who has no clue what is really going on, but pretends. (E.g., I saw one guy doing the "bare handed fielding drill", which is a good drill, but in his case he had the kids back at 60 feet and he was hitting liners to them.)

I have seen really good HS coaches. In HS, my kids played for probably a dozen different coaches. Of those dozen, there was one excellent coach, three good coaches, and the rest were mediocre to poor. (I'm not evaluating based on 'winning' and 'losing'--I'm evaluating what they did with the available talent.)

Sluggers, that has been my contention all along. No mater the level, be it rec, TB, MS, HS or College, there will always be good coaches and bad coaches. The difference in school ball is that the parents don't have a choice except college. They have to play for the school the kids are attending. Sometimes the coaches are good and sometimes they are bad. In college and TB, a bad coach usually won't last more than a couple of years. This leads to a myriad of other discussions that should be on other threads. In the rest of the categories, this is not necessarily true. Many times, such as in our area, the school must offer the coaching position to teachers first by contract. Again, many times they are in it for nothing more than the extra paycheck. However, you also get those special few that actually care. They will be hunting down every scrap of information to not only better themselves as coaches, but better their players. They will always continue to strive to make their players better, no matter how short of a period of time they have them. They are all about the team and winning if at all possible.

Although these teacher/coaches may be far and few between from what I hear on this forum, there are also many non-teacher, outside coaches that do the very same thing.

Apr 10, 2014
San Diego
As a freshman in high school patience is the key. As well, most varsity coaches (at least in SoCal) don't like parental interference. High school is a four year proposition so I would encourage your daughter to chill and work hard. If she is as good as you say she is the cream will rise to the top. As an 18 Gold travel coach I always want to field the best team, so if your DD is one of the best she will ultimately play. Avoid the knee-jerk reaction that so and so is playing and I'm not scenario. My her sophomore or junior year she could end up being a starter batting 4th, so hang in there!

I won't argue that some HS coaches are worthless. But that percentage is much smaller than the percentage of worthless parents. Some coaches have favorites. But every parent has a favorite player.

You're right. I know nothing about your situation. I didn't realize that HS practices are 8 hrs long where you are. They must be otherwise you would have time for pitching practice afterwards. I know my DD's have always had time after HS practice for hitting and pitching. But then we don't waste our time whining and ranting about the big Meanie HS coaches and how unfair everything is.

Just because your DD isn't the starting P as a freshman doesn't mean the HS coach doesn't care about her. Maybe the HS coach doesn't care for the family attitude. Maybe your DD isn't nearly as good as you think she is. Around here, a freshman starting on her 16U team doesn't mean much when it comes to Varsity. My youngest DD was a #1 on her 18 team and can't hardly get on the mound in HS as a SR. I'd say it's politics but I'm the coach.

Speaking as a HS coach, do us a favor. Make your DD quit. Your Blood Pressure will go down. Then in a couple years, when the college coach calls me to ask about your DD (And they do frequently), I can share with them my perspective. And then she may not ever have to worry about the stress of playing in college...

Not sure what part of the country your from but it would be big news if a college coach called a high school coach around here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877