Conditioning at Practice.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So if a kid is late to practice and you send them for a couple of laps is that illegal? Civil infraction or criminal? Misdemeanor or felony?

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
So if a kid is late to practice and you send them for a couple of laps is that illegal? Civil infraction or criminal? Misdemeanor or felony?

Each state is different. What we see is its easier to fire the teacher than prosecute them. Some states are just now discussing this, some have a zero tolerance policy on use of physical punishment, some say you can use drills but it cant be excessive. Heres a definition from a Illinois court case.

"The district's student-discipline policy defines corporal punishment as "application of physical pain as a method of changing behavior," according to the report. "It includes a wide variety of methods such as ... use of excessive exercise drills," the report says."

So if a parent decided to take this ruling to civilly sue a travel coach do you thing it MAY hold up in court. I think in some states it would.

The National Association for Sport and Physical Education released a position statement in 2009 that says it's "inappropriate" to administer or withhold physical activity as a form of punishment and/or behavior management. (A lawyer would eat this up combined with video evidence in some states.)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

Each state is different. What we see is its easier to fire the teacher than prosecute them. Some states are just now discussing this, some have a zero tolerance policy on use of physical punishment, some say you can use drills but it cant be excessive. Heres a definition from a Illinois court case.

"The district's student-discipline policy defines corporal punishment as "application of physical pain as a method of changing behavior," according to the report. "It includes a wide variety of methods such as ... use of excessive exercise drills," the report says."

So if a parent decided to take this ruling to civilly sue a travel coach do you thing it MAY hold up in court. I think in some states it would.

The National Association for Sport and Physical Education released a position statement in 2009 that says it's "inappropriate" to administer or withhold physical activity as a form of punishment and/or behavior management. (A lawyer would eat this up combined with video evidence in some states.)

What if the reason for sending the kid for the laps was not punishment but to get them warmed up before they joined the practice? Still headed to Sing Sing? This sounds very much like a solution in search of a problem.

Jun 1, 2013
Easton-Seems we all agree that conditioning is a good thing and using it as punishment is a bad thing. Using conditioning in practice or outside of practice has it benefits.

IMHO your overanalyzing my statement. We are agreeing on about everything. I just don't agree with using physical punishment such as running AND in school systems in many states its illegal. You don't have to like it but u cant argue with an illegal activity.

Of course you can argue it, that's how laws get changed.

So here is the thing that I am not sure I am getting across. I want to condition my girls and I think it is important. However with 2 practices a week I think it is better to work on fielding, hitting, throwing, situations etc. I treat conditioning as another "station" if you will. If they are not doing things well at any given station I will switch to my conditioning station. To me it is a valuable but they perceive it as punishment and apparently so do some of you. I run them because they need conditioning, I can't help the way it is perceived without carving out a set time for conditioning work. Which I don't have the practice time to do. Yes we do high pace drills.
"We are not running you because you weren't at practice, we are running you to help you catch up with the conditioning you missed yesterday. Don't want you to fall behind, do we?"

Jun 1, 2013

This makes the alternative that many here say you use ILLEGAL as well. Law Breakers!!! You can't sit them on the bench. I can't believe you neanderthal bullies are still using the sit the bench routine. It is abusive, and detrimental to the mental health and overall welfare of your players. It is a sign of poor coaching. Yada Yada Yada. Now as dumb as all that sounded to you guys that are proponents of sitting the bench, I want you to know that is how several of us feel about your stance on running players.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

This makes the alternative that many here say you use ILLEGAL as well. Law Breakers!!! You can't sit them on the bench.

What did you expect? It came out of NASPE I would expect nothing less. :)

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I am also trying to figure out how kids are late....in HS they are at school doing nothing most of the time after school waiting for me, so not really possible to be late.

Kids are late for nearly everything. It's a pet peeve of mine. I am 15 minutes early for everything which usually leads to a vicious cycle of being there an hour early. I haven't figured out how adults manage to get their kids to TB practice late every practice yet. I wish I could make the parents do laps.

Dec 20, 2012
You can't punish them with excessive physical activity and you can't withhold activity as punishment???? WTH??? So basically there are no consequences at all!

Yes the world has/is changing but do you think it's for the best??? You have kids back talking, even getting physical with teachers and parents. Not that it didn't happen before but the regularity of it is out of control. Kid throws a fit, they need time out. Kid blows up at teacher, oh they need counseling. Boo freakin hoo!! Bust there butts, make them run laps or whatever it takes. Kids need to be dealt with on a case by case basis. Some need a hug and a talk while others need a boot in the a&$. But this cradle them to they are 26 years old is a load of crap.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am also trying to figure out how kids are late....in HS they are at school doing nothing most of the time after school waiting for me, so not really possible to be late.

We have found high school sports quite challenging. If practice is immediately after school, it isn't a problem. She is already there. She can stay for practice. If practice is 5:30 or later, again no problem. Either DW or I will be home from work and can get her there. But if practice starts at 5 pm, it creates some challenges for my family. We don't get home from work early enough to get her there on time. She isn't old enough to drive herself. She is not permitted to wait in the school because that would require that the school keep someone there to supervise the students. Luckily we have some good friends that are willing to help when we need it. But there have been some cases that have stretched our abilities.

Oct 22, 2009
Kids are late for nearly everything. It's a pet peeve of mine. I am 15 minutes early for everything which usually leads to a vicious cycle of being there an hour early. I haven't figured out how adults manage to get their kids to TB practice late every practice yet. I wish I could make the parents do laps.

My local league kids are late for everything. I coached there many years ago and usually 1/2 the team showed up 30 minutes late.
Last years pitching clinic, 1st kid showed 10 minutes late, the rest wandered in around 20 minutes late, last one 35 minutes to an hour clinic.
There was a 14 girl at our 12u practice on Saturday because she was late for her 14u practice and missed the entire 2 hour practice so she worked out at ours.

Yes, I'd love to punish the parents. It's when these are young that you teach them commitment and responsibility.
This, -I'll get there when I get there- just doesn't cut it.
Every time I tried to find the 14yr old and work her through a station I'd find her in the stands talking with her mother. Her mother brings her late then allows her to sit on the bleachers? Starts at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand