Conditioning at Practice.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
One thing I found that worked pretty well for getting people to get to practice on time is you don't wait for them to show up. Practice starts on time. If I say practice starts at 4:30 it starts at 4:30, whether there is one kid or 12 kids. People seem to get the idea pretty quickly.

You might also mention that you know they want the kids to get out on time so you're not sitting in the parking lot for a half hour. You will commit to that if they will commit to getting the kids there on time. But then you'd better follow through on your end!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Getting back to the original post, I will tell players that I don't do conditioning in practice. Speed and agility maybe, but not just plain conditioning.

What they don't realize is just about everything we do is conditioning for the sport. I can work them hard without ever leaving the infield. And without them realizing how hard they're working, because they're focused on whatever the softball skill is. Throw in a little competition and they'll kill themselves trying to win instead of loafing through a set of sprints.

Several years ago my older daughter was playing on the HS team and they did a lot of conditioning. Just general conditioning. Thought they were getting the girls in great shape. I ran one simple drill that had them all huffing and puffing pretty quickly. They weren't in quite as good a shape as they thought.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
My girls love conditioning, and don't like it if I have to skip. They get pushed hard, and the results show. Naturally, they like the fitness and aesthetic results, but the mental toughness is also there, and it shows in the summer heat.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
We have found high school sports quite challenging. If practice is immediately after school, it isn't a problem. She is already there. She can stay for practice. If practice is 5:30 or later, again no problem. Either DW or I will be home from work and can get her there. But if practice starts at 5 pm, it creates some challenges for my family. We don't get home from work early enough to get her there on time. She isn't old enough to drive herself. She is not permitted to wait in the school because that would require that the school keep someone there to supervise the students. Luckily we have some good friends that are willing to help when we need it. But there have been some cases that have stretched our abilities.

You mean that you're not just sitting around waiting on them to go to practice? Gosh I can't imagine why.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I want to condition my girls and I think it is important...I treat conditioning as another "station" if you will...To me it is a valuable but they perceive it as punishment and apparently so do some of you. I run them because they need conditioning, I can't help the way it is perceived without carving out a set time for conditioning work.

Yet here - http://www.discussfastpitch.com/coaching-softball/22703-day-i-threw-my-glove-2.html#post305965 - in regards to a player not putting forth a solid effort, you suggest as a remedy:

Guess I will represent the other side of this...
Make them stop what they are doing and run them. When you get done let them have a breather and water break, then run them some more.

Seems to me that you also perceive it as punishment.

Jun 1, 2013
Yet here - http://www.discussfastpitch.com/coaching-softball/22703-day-i-threw-my-glove-2.html#post305965 - in regards to a player not putting forth a solid effort, you suggest as a remedy:

Seems to me that you also perceive it as punishment.

Not all, I run them or switch to the "conditioning station" when they are not being successful at the fielding, hitting, bunting station, or when their minds are not focused. If the latter is true non of the above stations will be productive. However, not a whole lot of thinking involved in running. They have been switched from a station they were less successful at to station where they will be more successful. I know they probably perceive it as punishment but I don't. Conditioning is valuable in my opinion and all serious athletes need it. Had practice tonight, girls did less than stellar but no running.

And fyi, when they are doing good, I still run them some if time permits. I also run them a little before each game in every tournament. (Short bursts, leave on release 10 to 15 yards)

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2013
I just wonder of all the people that disagree with running kids (for whatever reason is wrong) has to do with level they are coaching. TB vs League or Rec. Is the vast majority of TB coaches behind running kids and the majority of rec/league coaches against it? Or is there a big difference in opinion between A level TB, B level TB, or C level TB? I think that is an interesting idea. Anyway we could work a poll to figure it out?

Mar 21, 2013
Our practice time is limited (about 1.5 hours prior to daylight savings). So I like to incorporate our cardio and running into base running. Knowing the girls are not loose we do base running drills and skills at half speed to start. Kills 2 birds with one stone...

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I just wonder of all the people that disagree with running kids (for whatever reason is wrong) has to do with level they are coaching. TB vs League or Rec. Is the vast majority of TB coaches behind running kids and the majority of rec/league coaches against it? Or is there a big difference in opinion between A level TB, B level TB, or C level TB? I think that is an interesting idea. Anyway we could work a poll to figure it out?

In REC ball I would say spending time on conditioning is not going to help and is wasting the parents money
In C ball it's wasting money unless you are close to moving to B
In A/B TB it should be part of your practice schedule.

I incorporate A/B a lot as you play in the same tournaments so really it's all A ball or most likely what some would consider B ball.

I know what I was told by a coach this winter at a camp. Get your DD into a program for weights and conditioning as soon as possible to get a leg up on the competition.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Not all, I run them or switch to the "conditioning station" when they are not being successful at the fielding, hitting, bunting station, or when their minds are not focused.

punishment: noun; the infliction or imposition of a penalty as retribution for an offense.

This is probably the reason many of us, including your own players, see it as punishment. Rationalize all you like, use euphemisms like "conditioning station," but that doesn't change what it is.

I am not against conditioning, my 7th graders get conditioning in as we practice, but I am against using it as punishment or "corrective action." My girls will never be stopped at what they're doing and made to run because they were not being successful during a drill.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand