Composite Backup Bat (concerned about cold weather)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2012
I'm looking to add another bat since we play lots in cold weather 45-65 degrees and I believe composites are not recommended for those temps. Correct me if that is incorrect please.

What type of bat would be good to back up a composite?
Using a CF5 drop 10.
Much of the use is for practices, so would the same length, but slightly heavier bat be good? Or best to match size and drop?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Anderson Rocketflex in the same size. The Rocketech is a drop 9 while the RF is a drop 10. As Nano said, she may not want to go back. I know mine didn't.

Oct 22, 2012
Isn't rocketflex a 2 piece? Thought that was biggest issue in cold weather, 2 piece separating at union.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
An Anderson high-performance bat is susceptible to damage in cold weather (under 60° Fahrenheit). Ball hardness and/or weight (waterlogged) significantly increase in cold/wet climates, and may damage your high-performance bat.

Andersons warn against cold weather also. They dent, not break.

IMO use any bat you like. In the slight chance it breaks, then get a new one.

PS. I don't feel much difference until it is below 40 degrees.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD has had her RF for over a year now and has played with it in weather as cold as 36 degrees last Fall. We have had no issues with it whatsoever although this Fall we didn't play tournaments as far into the season as last year.

Edit to add: RHC is right though, Andersons will dent not break in cold weather.

Last edited:
May 8, 2012
NJ
Just an idea...DD uses a 31" Easton FS1...our "cold weather" bat is a 31" Easton CV12 -10.... $50 scratch and dent...if we break it, not too worried about it. Think it was cheapbats...the knob was missing some paint. Never tell after 2 weeks of use that it had an issue

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA