Cold Weather Bat Recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I wonder if anyone has done the research to determine how much harder a standard softball becomes at lower temperatures. Most composite bat manufacturers do not recommend using their bats below 50 degrees, and to be honest I am not really big on playing below 40 degrees, so how much harder does a softball become between 40 and 50 degrees? Anyone???

May 13, 2015
Nov 25, 2012
USA

Thanks 999. Good article and got me to thinking that I shouldn't be using our composites under 60 degrees. We have always used DeMarini's but bought an Easton Mako Torq for Christmas due to the great deal I got. I just pulled out the warranty and it says 60 degrees for this bat. Can't find my DeMarini information but I am sure it is somewhere on the website.
Anyway, plenty of good recommendations for cold weather bats and will try to pick one up. I can't bring myself to letting my DD use an older composite bat even though we have several (too many). My younger DD is growing into them and hoping the pop will still be there and I don't have to take out another loan to buy more for her.

Easton warranty.JPG

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
Seems like there was something a while back about how a bat reacts to a harder ball(which is what cold weather does). If I remember correctly it was said that a bat with more flex got greater distance than one with less. In other words, the harder the ball the more flex in the bat was needed to get distance. Having said that, one would be better off using an old LXT or Xeno in cold weather than using a Rocketech.

My DD uses both bats, but the RT is used more in June & July. Seems to get more pop when it is hot out. I'm guessing it's because of stiffness, but it may be because her swing is just more sound that time of year from all the games played.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I expected the compression to remain more stable until freezing....any Sheldon Cooper's on DFP that care to weigh in?
softball temp effect.jpg

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA