College recruiting is about to heat up!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Yep.

Leverage for recruiting is 99% in the colleges favor for all but a handful of players.

If you have some leverage to move the process along you should absolutely use it. "I have a serious option" is a strong message that will help move them one direction or another on their decision.

A lot of colleges lead recruits on as long as possible in case someone better comes along. Example - We really want player B, but she hasn't made a decision. If we can't get Player B, Player C is a good option but lets not do anything official if we don't have to until Player B's plan is known' - Being Player C is not fun, mainly because you rarely know you are Player C.
Well, DD talked to the HC at the camp she was at. He was hardly around and she was mainly with the AC. She did well, winning their hitting contest; got the nickname "DQ" for Dinger Queen. The problem is that the HC wasn't there to see it. When she talked to him she said she wanted to know his interest level... He immediately said, "are you trying to narrow down your choices?" and she said yes because she was a rising senior. He then just basically said, "okay, I need to talk to my AC and I'll let you know." That was it. She didn't get a good vibe from that but I'm not sure if she was just being emotional because she was so nervous. She never brought up about the other schools that are interested. He had been going crazy over her before and she said now seems indifferent. Maybe she was the "C" player:) She was also a little upset that she only got to play her main position a few innings the whole week but was 3 for 3 on plays there.

Jan 18, 2015
What if at camp a coach calls a player by name when addressing them and tend to pay more attention to them but then when the camp is over just say keep working hard??? My is a little stressed about it. Not really sure what to say to her...

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Slingit is 100% correct. I asked all the tough questions when my DD went on her visit to the school she eventually committed too and asked how much and for how many years and what it took for my DD to lose money. The coach wrote everything down and 2 years later when we got the LOI everything she promised was included.

It's your kids future, don't be shy, ask questions.

Did you leave with what the coach had written down in hand or did the coach keep it? We were never given anything in writing.

Mar 11, 2009
Well, DD talked to the HC at the camp she was at. He was hardly around and she was mainly with the AC. She did well, winning their hitting contest; got the nickname "DQ" for Dinger Queen. The problem is that the HC wasn't there to see it. When she talked to him she said she wanted to know his interest level... He immediately said, "are you trying to narrow down your choices?" and she said yes because she was a rising senior. He then just basically said, "okay, I need to talk to my AC and I'll let you know." That was it. She didn't get a good vibe from that but I'm not sure if she was just being emotional because she was so nervous. She never brought up about the other schools that are interested. He had been going crazy over her before and she said now seems indifferent. Maybe she was the "C" player:) She was also a little upset that she only got to play her main position a few innings the whole week but was 3 for 3 on plays there.

My DD had to play 3rd base at camp and is an Outfielder, never played 3rd ever. So it happens. Alot of times the AC's are main recruiters, and HC defers to them for info. But the feeling I got is the HC will decide playing time once a kid is on the team.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
What if at camp a coach calls a player by name when addressing them and tend to pay more attention to them but then when the camp is over just say keep working hard??? My is a little stressed about it. Not really sure what to say to her...

This is hard to say what the coach is thinking. My dd went to a local college camp every year growing up. She was entering HS and at this camp, the last day was typically, a showcase kind of game. So, we sat there and dd was not playing field but was hitting. Then, last inning, dd was put in to pitch. HC walks out and announces that next 3 batters were all that year's recruiting class (One was dd of MLB Player). Then, she looked at my dd and said to her that if she didn't step up, these girls could hurt her. She struck all 3 out. So, HC made big speech about DD and then told recruits that they had a lot of work to do. When it came time to get serious about school, we could never tell if HC even knew her name. It was really weird!

Oct 10, 2011
Is it okay to text a coach that has his cell # on their website? DD worked with the coach and spent a lot of time with them. The HC said he rarely reads emails so to text him, but this would be his AC.

Mar 11, 2009
Is it okay to text a coach that has his cell # on their website? DD worked with the coach and spent a lot of time with them. The HC said he rarely reads emails so to text him, but this would be his AC.

It is OK, but read this info for D1 prospective athletes:
NCAA Timeline
9th and 10th Grade
At the beginning of your freshman (9th grade) year, you become a prospective student athlete and NCAA rules regarding recruiting go into effect. You may visit an institution at your own expense as often as you wish and all contacts with a coach must be on the college campus. The athlete can call the coach, but the coach cannot call, email, instant message, text message or encourage contact of any kind prior to the athlete’s junior year.
Identifying the colleges you want to attend is a crucial part of the process. It will help you
Determine which coaches to contact.
Junior Year -Sept 1st
Coaches may send athletes recruiting letters, emails, instant messages, text messages and information about the athletic program. Coaches may not call prospects until after July 1(Div I) or June 15(Div II).Players may call or email coaches, but coaches cannot return these calls until these dates.
July 1st after Junior Year
In person, face to face contacts can begin. A Division I college is allowed three total off-campus contacts with a prospect during her senior year in high school. Coaches may only call prospects once each week, and these calls include conversations with any family members. Be sure to keep your NCAA Clearinghouse and Amateurism information updated.
Senior Year – First Day Classes
On-campus official visits may begin. You are limited to five official visits expense paid visits at five different institutions. A coach is allowed unlimited telephone calls during the five days before an official visit to a campus. Coaches are also allowed unlimited telephone calls during the day of a home visit. National Letter of Intent Early Signing begins the 2nd Wednesday in Nov. of Senior Year. Late signing begins the 2nd Wednesday in April of Senior Year

Oct 10, 2011
DD'S teammate just verballed this weekend to a small D1. School and she's a 2015. We're really happy for her but surprised that it came so late. They came to see her play so our coach pitched her and she struggled but they liked what they saw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bake12