College recruiting is about to heat up!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
I 2nd/3rd the importance of a succinct video of when your DD performed at a big venue. Just her - no down time - no favorite song in the background.

Fingers crossed I believe it has solely gotten my DD "hired" twice now.

Dec 7, 2011
Will I have time to sleep when she goes to college? :)

That's a definite "maybe"....

Between a given DD's finding her desired major (that might not be in the school that originally hired her), and coaches jumping all over the place, and potentially realizing a "mismatch" after the first year I recommend all you moms & dads to carry along a thought of "it aint over til it's over" ("over" equals after they consume all 4 years of their eligibility)

When DD verballed as a sophomore in HS I had no expectation that I would be looking for summer TB teams to get her to a big national exposure after her first year of college........ Be ready to stay flexible.

Oct 17, 2014
Coaches are now permitted to text student-athletes at the same point that they can call and email (junior year). Same applies for twitter DM's and Facebook PM's. This is D1 rules.

Dec 20, 2012
Don't be afraid to discuss the financial aspects with the coaches, especially if you are making an unofficial visit. If you are going to burn an official or pay for a cross country trip then you have every right to ask if an offer will be made and how much that offer will be. Don't let your kids become starstruck and agree to a visit only to find out that there is not enough money to afford the school. This is not inappropriate or out of line at all.

Oct 10, 2011
Don't be afraid to discuss the financial aspects with the coaches, especially if you are making an unofficial visit. If you are going to burn an official or pay for a cross country trip then you have every right to ask if an offer will be made and how much that offer will be. Don't let your kids become starstruck and agree to a visit only to find out that there is not enough money to afford the school. This is not inappropriate or out of line at all.
DD will be staying at her #1 choice for 3 nights next week. Is it appropriate to tell them that another school has requested a visit ASAP to discuss what they can offer? The coach at her #1 choice had been keeping in touch with her so she's comfortable talking with him.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
DD will be staying at her #1 choice for 3 nights next week. Is it appropriate to tell them that another school has requested a visit ASAP to discuss what they can offer? The coach at her #1 choice had been keeping in touch with her so she's comfortable talking with him.

Yep.

Leverage for recruiting is 99% in the colleges favor for all but a handful of players.

If you have some leverage to move the process along you should absolutely use it. "I have a serious option" is a strong message that will help move them one direction or another on their decision.

A lot of colleges lead recruits on as long as possible in case someone better comes along. Example - We really want player B, but she hasn't made a decision. If we can't get Player B, Player C is a good option but lets not do anything official if we don't have to until Player B's plan is known' - Being Player C is not fun, mainly because you rarely know you are Player C.

Oct 10, 2011
Yep.

Leverage for recruiting is 99% in the colleges favor for all but a handful of players.

If you have some leverage to move the process along you should absolutely use it. "I have a serious option" is a strong message that will help move them one direction or another on their decision.

A lot of colleges lead recruits on as long as possible in case someone better comes along. Example - We really want player B, but she hasn't made a decision. If we can't get Player B, Player C is a good option but lets not do anything official if we don't have to until Player B's plan is known' - Being Player C is not fun, mainly because you rarely know you are Player C.
Thanks marriad. I feel like DD maybe showed too much excitement to play there after they started showing her a lot of attention. Maybe this will help a little. One of his seniors told DD that she had to stay on him because he's really laid back and tends to recruit later than most coaches.

Dec 20, 2012
Another part of their offer is how many years is that offer good for. 100% first year, 75% sophomore, 50, 50. Find out up front what they intend on giving for the duration. And still if it is not in writing the numbers can change year to year.

Feb 14, 2010
Slingit is 100% correct. I asked all the tough questions when my DD went on her visit to the school she eventually committed too and asked how much and for how many years and what it took for my DD to lose money. The coach wrote everything down and 2 years later when we got the LOI everything she promised was included.

It's your kids future, don't be shy, ask questions.

Dec 7, 2011
Always remember a coaching change can change everything on a dime. This second time around I looked the new coach in the eyes and point-blank asked "are you looking to move up an on any time soon?". I know there is no guarantees but I have to ask that question to try and assess the response and the validity of the answer. I am pretty sure I got the new schools coach a little uncomfortable but I was happy I asked. Like crankermo says - don't be shy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand