Bat recommendations for 10 y/o travel player?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2021
My 10-year old was having a hard time making good hard contact consistently on her 12U fall travel team the last few weeks. Today her coach had her use a teammate’s Ghost Advanced and she was instantly hitting everything much harder and further. The bat she had been using was nothing special — something we picked up at Dick’s a few years ago for like $50-$60.

So we’re in the market for a new bat or two — one of which I’m thinking should be a composite. While she had great swings with the Ghost today, everything I’m reading suggests it’s a risky headache. My question: should we go for the Ghost anyway? If not, what are good quality, durable alternatives for a youth player? I’m thinking we get one bat for games and one for practice/BP/backup. What should they be? Ideally I’d want them to last from this fall through winter indoor training and next spring/summer.

She needs a 30/19 (-11). I would describe her as a contact hitter without much power yet due to age/size. We live in Massachusetts, so temperature is also a (small, but manageable) consideration.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021
I might be biased since dd has a prism but I see a lot of kids at that age swinging a prism. Me and dd think it’s a pretty good bat that’s got a nice mix of power and contact (it’s also decently durable). It’s also really good for those smaller girls who are contact hitters because of how light swinging it is. The only real problem I could think of would be the price. It’s probably around the same price range as the ghost (maybe a little more or less).

The New CF zen is also a good bat for smaller contact hitters. I would recommend having your dd try multiple bats to find the one that suits her best.

Apr 28, 2019
I would go drop 11 Demarini’s to start with. CF or Prism/Prism plus. Maybe LXT drop 11 if she can handle sonething slightly heavier than Demarini’s.

For BP, back-up cold weather bat I would go with a Rawlings Velo or Demarini FNX. Both very durable and reasonably priced.

The best cold weather bat is Anderson alloy Rocketech. It’s very heavy though not sure your DD could handle it as you describe her.

No need to grab newest models at that age. Last years model or older will fo just fine and save you some green

I know a bat rep that will get you best prices on Wilson products (Slugger & Demarini)

Core is the guy on this site for Easton and all other bats except for Slugger & Demarini.

Aug 21, 2021
I might be biased since dd has a prism but I see a lot of kids at that age swinging a prism. Me and dd think it’s a pretty good bat that’s got a nice mix of power and contact (it’s also decently durable). It’s also really good for those smaller girls who are contact hitters because of how light swinging it is. The only real problem I could think of would be the price. It’s probably around the same price range as the ghost (maybe a little more or less).

The New CF zen is also a good bat for smaller contact hitters. I would recommend having your dd try multiple bats to find the one that suits her best.
Thank you! I decided to get the Prism.

The price point is not great but I'm OK with it as long as the bat is reasonably durable. I just can’t stand the thought of getting a Ghost and stressing about cracks on every swing.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021
I would go drop 11 Demarini’s to start with. CF or Prism/Prism plus. Maybe LXT drop 11 if she can handle sonething slightly heavier than Demarini’s.

For BP, back-up cold weather bat I would go with a Rawlings Velo or Demarini FNX. Both very durable and reasonably priced.

The best cold weather bat is Anderson alloy Rocketech. It’s very heavy though not sure your DD could handle it as you describe her.

No need to grab newest models at that age. Last years model or older will fo just fine and save you some green

I know a bat rep that will get you best prices on Wilson products (Slugger & Demarini)

Core is the guy on this site for Easton and all other bats except for Slugger & Demarini.

Thank you. I went ahead and bought her a Prism earlier today because everything pointed to that as the best choice. I will check out the two cold weather bat recos. I’m open to getting connected to the Wilson rep you mentioned.

Apr 28, 2019
George Wheatley- DTSports.Net He sells all brands. You can’t go wrong with George or Core.
Thank you. I went ahead and bought her a Prism earlier today because everything pointed to that as the best choice. I will check out the two cold weather bat recos. I’m open to getting connected to the Wilson rep you mentioned.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I have a 2016 xeno 30/19 in good shape. No rattles or cracks. Its a hot bat. Check ebay and make me a decent offer and its yours.

Aug 18, 2018
Another good bat is a Mizuno PC. For the cost it's a good performer. DD used one before she went to a ghost advance. I will say Mizuno bats are true to listed weight and she found the bat to be well balanced.

Good luck.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2021
I’m in the same boat as you Coco. Im also from Massachusetts and my soon to be 9 y/o is just starting her first year of 10u travel ball. She’s been swinging a Mizuno aluminum bat for the past year but seems to be ready for something a little better. I’ve looked at a lot of 1 and 2 piece composite bats and at her age I can’t justify spending $350-$400 on something like a Ghost or Prizm.

She took some swings with several of the new 2022 youth composite bats (Demarini Spryte, Mizuno CRBN1, Easton Firefly) and a new Ghost just for fun. Out of everything she’s swung she’s liked the feel of the Spryte the most.

We’ve seen the new Louisville Slugger Nexus online and she’s been dying to swing it but I can’t find it in store anywhere. I can’t find a ton of reviews on any of these bats but from what I have read it seems like the Nexus might be the top pick in the $200-$250 range.

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? Any reps input would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles