Coaching them the right way

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Has nothing to do with feeling noble or warm inside. Are y'all are saying that the coaches who don't milk the clock are the real jerks because they're trying to be holier than thou? Consider that it could simply be the belief that the players are learning more by playing this way than the other.

I seriously doubt the players care one way or the other as long as the coach is not being a jerk and making them feel uncomfortable. I can't imagine that a player is going to walk away with a life lesson or even a warm fuzzy because their coach ignored the clock.

One of the duties of a coach is to position their team to have a chance to win. It is up to the coach as to how this is accomplished. You can do it with class or you can be a jerk. But to lead your team in a timed contest with zero regard for time management is a disservice to your players and pretty selfish.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Id rather play 7 innings every game BUT if the rules are modified it is my responsibility as a coach to strategize appropriately and with honor to put my players in the best situation to succeed.

For example If your playing a drop dead or exhibition game and won the toss you wouldn't choose to hit first??

Adjusting our hitting strategy to increase quality at bats and pitches seen to run time is a smart solution within the rules as well.

Every player manages the time in their own accord during the game. Some hitters like to breath between pitches, some pitchers like to pitch at a fast/slow pace. EVERYONE is managing time every pitch in a game-why not at the end?

Look at the flip side-if you didn't use the proper tools for the job how would your players and parents respond? I guarantee you those parents and players were discussing time management on the way home (other team). The players may never tell the coach but I know they ask each other why they didn't do everything within the rules to win as competitive athletes (youth included) play to win.

Why else work so much and so hard if your not going to give your best effort to win-COACH included.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
You don't do the right thing to get noticed. You do it because it's the right thing. That being said, the right thing to do isn't always so easy to pin down in a circumstance such as this.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I seriously doubt the players care one way or the other as long as the coach is not being a jerk and making them feel uncomfortable.

They don't care. I agree.

But let's say there is 3 minutes left. You're up 5-2. You've got one out to get. Nobody on base. You decide to change pitchers right then and there to ensure that the clock will run out. Kids won't care if you do that. But what does that teach them?

I'm not trying to persuade someone to change how they coach or manage. Just trying to explain why some people might see it a little. It doesn't have to been seen as a moral issue. It could be a player-development issue.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Isn't there an ASA rule that says intentional stalling is grounds for an immediate forfeit? Maybe an umpire can help here. Seems I've heard or read that. Not that it's ever been called, but would like clarification.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
They don't care. I agree.

But let's say there is 3 minutes left. You're up 5-2. You've got one out to get. Nobody on base. You decide to change pitchers right then and there to ensure that the clock will run out. Kids won't care if you do that. But what does that teach them?

I'm not trying to persuade someone to change how they coach or manage. Just trying to explain why some people might see it a little. It doesn't have to been seen as a moral issue. It could be a player-development issue.

I freely admit that I manage the clock with a vengeance. But the scenario that you describe crosses the line and IMO is unacceptable. I will use a hurry up defense with 1 and down to accelerate the game or have a batter stand and take strikes. But blatant stalling is beyond the pale.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2014
I freely admit that I manage the clock with a vengeance. But the scenario that you describe crosses the line and IMO is unacceptable. I will use a hurry up defense with 1 and down to accelerate the game or have a batter stand and take strikes. But blatant stalling is beyond the pale.

I agree with this. It's one thing to have batters take extra pitches to bleed time, but stalling is BS. We had one game this season, and this is rec so we had a 6-run inning limit, where we started the last inning down 8, so there was no way we could come back. With about 2 minutes left, the other coach went out and called a full-team confernce at the circle to waste time.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
The lesson learned here is, if you're ahead you manage the situation to end the game while you're ahead. If you're behind, you manage the game to extend it as long as possible to pull ahead. Pretty simple.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I agree with this. It's one thing to have batters take extra pitches to bleed time, but stalling is BS. We had one game this season, and this is rec so we had a 6-run inning limit, where we started the last inning down 8, so there was no way we could come back. With about 2 minutes left, the other coach went out and called a full-team confernce at the circle to waste time.

It is all on how you do it and each individual situation. We were home team down by 1 run with only a few minutes left on the clock. Opposing coach walks a batter throwing stuff well outside. Then calls a time out and hangs in circle until blue chases her off. Then with 30 seconds left yells to pitcher take your time, nothing good. This was pool play and I really did not care but it was so blatant. Normally I would not go there but I called an audible from 3rd base box. My hitter nods, then with pitcher on rubber walks across home plate for the 3rd out sending it to next inning. The fans on both sides go nuts with many not sure what happened. The opposing coach was a young lady who just shook her head and smiled knowing she was just schooled big time. Just proves that youth and skill are no match for old age and experience.

Jun 11, 2013
The next time you watch a game note how much time gets wasted between innings. I see team where the catcher makes the last out and they have 3 subs and 4 coaches and no one goes to warm up the pitcher. Teams where the next hitter takes forever to get up to bat. 10 seconds here, 30 there, adds up to a few minutes each game. When you are down a run and wish you had another 3 minutes you know where it went.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi