Coaching them the right way

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I see long-term value in a coach effectively telling their players that he believes that they are good enough to win regardless of how much longer the game may go. It is very difficult to beat a team with players who believe that they can win every inning of every game and are actually surprised and motivated to work harder when they don't.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
The next time my quarterback wants to take a knee to close out a game I will tell him not to and pass the ball. Pick-six be damned, at least his moral compass won't be broken. I have to have faith my QB can complete a pass.

You are using apples to make arguments for orange juice... Football has a clock and time rules and the game's strategy will revolve around that as time management is part of the game...
Softball DOESNT have time rules and/or clocks and the time limits are an "artificial" rule brought forth to optimize the number of teams and games you can cram into one weekend. While I understand the practical needs of time limits in weekend tournaments I think leveraging it and taking advantage of it is a CHEAP move...I dont drink the "Win at all costs, your dumb if you dont take every advantage you can get" kool-aid... the life lessons we are trying to instill in these girls is far more important

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
I'm not a win at all cost guy but the losing team who mismanaged the clock had 1 less game to play that weekend because of it. I think the girls on that team would have had a better experience winning a close game and playing for a tournament championship against 1 more worthy opponent who may have tested them one more time. You take your hat off to that coach cause your team was on the winning side of it but I bet the parents of the losing end weren't too happy they went home early. Now what if this game played out earlier in a tournament (first elimination game)? How much less does a team benefit from 1 game vs 3 or even 4 games?

Oct 25, 2009
Some would have the players admitting to missing the bag when running the bases. Or confessing when she misses a tag that the ump called a player out on. Etc.

Let's be real. The original post does not fall under someone who would be taking advantage of a flawed time limit system. We all want the best for the players but there are limits.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I'm not a win at all cost guy but the losing team who mismanaged the clock had 1 less game to play that weekend because of it. I think the girls on that team would have had a better experience winning a close game and playing for a tournament championship against 1 more worthy opponent who may have tested them one more time. You take your hat off to that coach cause your team was on the winning side of it but I bet the parents of the losing end weren't too happy they went home early. Now what if this game played out earlier in a tournament (first elimination game)? How much less does a team benefit from 1 game vs 3 or even 4 games?

Have to wonder if the coach was just willing to let the chips fall were they may. There is always another tournament and worse case you are wrapped up by kickoff and go grab some brewski's and wings.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

So let's say a head coach makes it a policy that he will never consider the clock, but will play at a normal pace regardless. How many games over the course of one year will his team lose because of this policy?

My guess is an average of maybe one. And if it means you didn't get to play another game or two, so what? Put another tournament in the schedule. Getting travel teams enough games is not a problem.

It could be that this particular coach believes that this extra game you're talking about, the one that they could've played had they milked the clock, is not as valuable to his players in the long run as the lessons learned over the course of a whole season by not using the clock as a crutch or competitive advantage. That is, lessons about what it means to compete and to play the game the way it was designed to be played, the way it is played at the highest levels.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We recorded 2 quick outs before the 3rd batter of the inning drew a 6-pitch walk. If the next batter stood there and took 3 straight pitches, the game would end and her team would be victorious. But she didn't take. She was up there to hit. She popped the 1st pitch up to our SS. There were 45 seconds left on the clock.

She might have been up there to hit, but she didn't get a hit. And because of either selfish pride, or mismanagement by the coach, they lost. So the choice of one, affected many.

This is why I enjoy straight inning games in HS/College. The strategy is much different. When you enter these "tournaments" with special rules, it's up to the coaches to adapt to special tactics of his own for the best outcome. I don't remember my girls every starting a tournament and wanting to get 3rd place, by competitive nature they are there to win.........within the set rules.

Having confidence in your players is just as equally valid as players having confidence that their coach will get them to the next game. In all timed sorts, the final few minutes are managed more than any other, especially if you have the lead. You're not only playing the other team, you're playing the clock.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So let's say a head coach makes it a policy that he will never consider the clock, but will play at a normal pace regardless. How many games over the course of one year will his team lose because of this policy?

My guess is an average of maybe one. And if it means you didn't get to play another game or two, so what? Put another tournament in the schedule. Getting travel teams enough games is not a problem.

It could be that this particular coach believes that this extra game you're talking about, the one that they could've played had they milked the clock, is not as valuable to his players in the long run as the lessons learned over the course of a whole season by not using the clock as a crutch or competitive advantage. That is, lessons about what it means to compete and to play the game the way it was designed to be played, the way it is played at the highest levels.

Having an ultra altruistic coaching philosophy may seem noble. But in the end it is like wetting yourself while wearing a dark pair of pants. It gives you a warm feeling but nobody really notices.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Has nothing to do with feeling noble or warm inside. Are y'all are saying that the coaches who don't milk the clock are the real jerks because they're trying to be holier than thou? Consider that it could simply be the belief that the players are learning more by playing this way than the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi