Coaching Bad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Drill Sargeants never hit us back in basic... they did however play what they called the sandbag game... a sandbag weighing about 25 pounds that was duck taped tight. They would chest pass it extremely hard to us, if we dropped it, it meant we owed them 25 push ups. If it was caught, we had to walk it back and hand it nicely to them. Then we'd ask for another one etc... this was a favorite game until of of the guys in our unit wound up with a broken rib. The game stopped and no one saw that drill sergeant again.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Drill Sargeants never hit us back in basic... they did however play what they called the sandbag game... a sandbag weighing about 25 pounds that was duck taped tight. They would chest pass it extremely hard to us, if we dropped it, it meant we owed them 25 push ups. If it was caught, we had to walk it back and hand it nicely to them. Then we'd ask for another one etc... this was a favorite game until of of the guys in our unit wound up with a broken rib. The game stopped and no one saw that drill sergeant again.

One guy in my platoon in basic asked a DS what a "one step" was. We didn't see him for a looong time after that lol! That was a DS favorite, for sure.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Just wanted to add: I finally watched the 1st episode. I pretty much despised every one of them immediately. The method of introducing the backstories was very disjointed - they should have stuck with one formula. I thought it got better by the last 1/3 of the episode, so I'll probably keep watching.

Nov 29, 2009
I heard the stories from vets from back in the day at the island. From what I have heard the opening scenes in Full Metal Jacket was a pretty fair representation.

R. Lee Early was a drill instructor. I watched and interview with him about the Full Metal Jacket movie. He improvised most of the those scenes on the fly as they were filming the movie. Said they had to be tough on the recruits. They only had a few weeks to get them ready for war.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The take away that I get from Coaching Bad is that these folks have significant personal issues that affect not only their role as a coach but have had a very negative effect in their family and professional life. Makes me wonder about the personal lives of some coaches I have seen over the years.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
R. Lee Early was a drill instructor. I watched and interview with him about the Full Metal Jacket movie. He improvised most of the those scenes on the fly as they were filming the movie. Said they had to be tough on the recruits. They only had a few weeks to get them ready for war.

R.Lee Early was hired as a consultant for the movie to help the actor get into the character of a drill instructor... Early did such a good job that he ended up taking the role instead of just consulting... and from there was born our favorite Sarge

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I heard the stories from vets from back in the day at the island. From what I have heard the opening scenes in Full Metal Jacket was a pretty fair representation.

Back to our subject... getting kids ready for sucess at ball is in no way remotely close to getting soldiers ready for war. Coaches with the drill sergeant mentality need to take a step back and remember what their goal is.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Back to our subject... getting kids ready for sucess at ball is in no way remotely close to getting soldiers ready for war. Coaches with the drill sergeant mentality need to take a step back and remember what their goal is.

Actually they are quite similar. However, to your point the audience is much different and the methods need to be different.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West

Actually they are quite similar. However, to your point the audience is much different and the methods need to be different.
I'm dying to hear how on earth you think basic training is similar to girls softball practice.
These kids aren't training to kill or avoid getting killed. No lives are at stake here, no one is going to bury their best friend for not covering his flank...
Similarities could include...discipline, physical fitness, attention to detail, mental focus etc...
None of these qualities require a coach screaming and cussing or demanding capitol punishment like dogs. Basic training is designed to prepare young men for war. Death, violence, torchure, and complete loss of yourself. Softball has none of that, and shouldn't be treated as such.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
R.Lee Early was hired as a consultant for the movie to help the actor get into the character of a drill instructor... Early did such a good job that he ended up taking the role instead of just consulting... and from there was born our favorite Sarge

It's "Ermey," he was a DI in real life, and "The Boys in Company C" was a much better movie and role for him. Back to the topic at hand...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi