Coaches need coaching too!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Video is much too short. Her swing looks pretty good. But it looks like she drops her hands instead of tilting. Slight touch of bat drag. I'm sure you'll get some advice.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
Not sure what you want help with. I'd definitely start by introducing yourself and then maybe explain where your daughter may be struggling. How old is she? How long has she been playing? Is she in recreational ball or travel ball? More info is needed if you are looking for help, especially with only a two second clip to go by. :)

May 16, 2010

Any advice on helpin her is appreciated! Truly a great site. Thanks for being here!

Looks pretty darn good to me. A couple of tweaks; turn the front hip in before the push out from the back side. Let the hands go and extend after contact. Throw the barrel and top hand through the ball. Not a push or pull, just let the hands go as part of throwing the barrel.

Like this;

bonds08ex.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2013
Ok. Thank you. Wasnt sure if I was asking in the manner expected from this forum.I will get some longer vid up. She is 14 playing 16U travel. Mostly NSA tournaments. Im happy with the swing there but it isnt consistent. When it gets too live pitching she struggles. Pulls balls to the fence, but foul when she makes contact, uppercutting and just under pitches.It seems her swing just goes away on her.I do like the extend point, definietly a good spot, and the hip turn in should happen at load correct? She gets so down on herself that it'll just kill the rest of her at bats. She has a ton of drive and wants to do so well. I thank you guys for the words of advice and will be more thorough in my posts from now on. Thanks again.

Oct 25, 2009
Pulling to the left side indicates, to me, she is not letting the ball get deep enough. Get an 18" wooden bat (tee ball bats are all too long) and have her do a LOT of swings with her top hand only from a tee. The short bat will help with getting used to the ball being deep. Even so, try to hit the balls to right field.

Then, after that, have her bat with the short bat with live pitching. Either full speed or front toss.

Use good form. The lower the tee the better the tilt will be taught. Make sure she tilts at the hip. Have her freeze for a second at the end of her swing and check herself out for good form. We call that "hold your pose."

Have her try to hit the balls to the grass on the right side. Line drives.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I would do a steady diet of this:
Attack opposite-field
BustosOutFrom1.gif

I see your DD is relying on just shoulder rotation. Kind of like a merry-go-round but, the bat doesn't get off the ride. That is where the bat not being extended like Jbooth spoke of. I see your DD swing as taking a hard left turn. Practice the drill I posted. Practice hitting to the opposite field during front soft toss/batting practice. Like softballphreak posted 'let the ball get deep'. Hope this helps?
Swing out from the body, not around the body.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad