Coach Scenario....to play or not.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Program's main goal is always to qualify and play in ASA Nationals.

At National Qualifier, advance to championship game. Guaranteed berth for 1st and 2nd.

Its 6pm on a Sunday night, its a 3+ hour drive home depending on traffic. Played 3 games already that day.

Do you play the game?

Or, having accomplished your goal, which was to qualify, do you forfeit the title game and hopefully get the players and parents home?

This is 12U....does the age make a difference?

What ramifications do you see, in either decision?

Interested to see the responses.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I do understand your position.

I've never quit a tournament ever. I'm not sure if I could make that decision alone, maybe if the majority of the parents bring up the time of day and traveling time I "might" consider it. If it was Sunday night and school was in session that's another factor.

Also if the other team had similar travel arrangements I might talk it over with the opposing team's coach. But he probably would have to bring the subject up first.

Now if I got the berth and it was 5-6 pm or after and we had rain delays, I'd probably heavily consider the forfeit. Nothing I hate worse than sitting around for hours "hoping" the rain will stop and continue play.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Even at 12U, why would you otherwise go to a tournament if not to play until your team won or was eliminated - hopefully in the finals at that. Assuming that school is out for summer, the kids can sleep in the car on the way home and I can suffer through work the next day. FWIW, U18 DD and I returned home from this weekend's tournament at 2:05 Monday morning.

Jan 25, 2011
Play,go and win the thing and see where it takes you.I don't think just settling for getting a berth is enough.20years form now these girls and you don't want to wonder what if!

Nov 29, 2009
A lot of it depends on the condition of the team. Are they tired, beat up and exhausted? Are your pitchers worn out? Do you have enough catching to make through another game. Do you think you're putting your players at risk when you've reached your objective and captured a bid to a national tournament. Is the team mentally prepared to play the game? Do you talk to the other coach and do a coin flip? It's a 3+ hour ride home after a long weekend. There are so many factors to consider before you make the decision. To me the biggest factor is the general health of pitchers, catchers then the positional players on the team. The trophy is nice but it usually ends up collecting dust in storage afterwards.

If the girls are healthy and fired up to play.. We play.

Unfortunately, it's the parents who don't understand most of the times. The 10U team in our organization last year was at a tournament. They had fought back through the loser bracket and won to force the if game. It was 9:00 PM on Sunday, a school night. The tournament director declared co-champions and ended the tournament. Both teams had secured bids. The parents of the defeated team went nuts. The parents wanted the game played even though it was 9:00 PM and the kids had school in the morning. Some people.. I tell ya.. The just don't get it...

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Unless you are unable to field a team, you should play.
Ask yourself the following:

What kind of message are you sending to the team?
What kind of message are you sending to the sanctioning body?

Unless you are unable to field a team, you should play.
Ask yourself the following:

What kind of message are you sending to the team?
What kind of message are you sending to the sanctioning body?

Agreed, especially the one about the team. This is a learning experience about life as well as playing softball. I'd see that as complacentcy - reach the goal and relax. You don't want them to think that in any situation in my opinion.

Feb 3, 2011
Assuming our players are healthy and the weather is good, we play. It's summertime, there's no school (except for those crazy places with year-round school), and parents will just have to suck it up at work the following day. Game's over at 7:30, ask the TD not to spend too much time on the awards ceremony and you're on the road by 8pm with no traffic. If you've got parents who have to leave to get to work or to bed, just coordinate rides to get their kids home.

7 would be on the edge and 8 would be too late, but 6pm Sunday is a doable start time in the scenario you have described.

Apr 25, 2010
When you enter a tournament, you know that a late championship game is always a possibility. And I guarantee you, there are teams who would love to take your place and actually play that championship game. Around here, if you don't play in your assigned games, you forfeit any games you have already played, so that berth that you "think" you have secured, is gone.

I find teams who just leave and don't finish it out, just disrespectful. To the game, the girls, the other teams, and the tournament.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild