Coach Rant

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
It's easy to sit back and judge as a spectacular. Hindsite is 20/20....I'm assuming this team wouldn't have had the opportunity to play for the championship if the #2 or 3 pitchers had been in the circle leading up to the last game....
Keep in mind that he's got alot on his plate, and is human. We all make mistakes... so if you're not a part of the solution you're a part of the problem. Why did no one simply say to him..."Hey bud, don't you think it'd be a good idea to......... or maybe........"
One team, with one goal, requires more than one thought process! Help a guy out instead of ranting after the fact.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
OK, so here is the deal

I was putting the Cubs World Series final game win into Softball Crazy parent perspective. Sometimes even the very best coaches make mistakes, especially while under the pressure of a championship.

Try to cut your volunteer rec coach some slack when he/she makes what you think are fundamental mistakes.

Nov 16, 2015
What should we do? OK so our team's manager is usually pretty good but I am starting to think that he is only considered good because the team wins.

So we are in a tourney and he completely drops the ball on how to use his pitchers. He completely over uses his most effective pitcher rendering this pitcher completely ineffective for the championship game.

He pulls his starter who is doing great only half way through the game and puts in another pitcher who never comes in the middle of a game, boom 2 runs score. Ok so pitcher #2 gets on track and gets in a groove, and the manager pulls pitcher 2 to put in the pitcher he
Completely overused, totally ineffective and next thing you know tie game.

Meanwhile he yanks his starting catcher and puts in the #2 catcher and by the end of the championship game the #3 catcher we just brought in from a lower level team in our org is behind the plate.

I'm starting to think this manager is an idiot who is just lucky.

This is great #gocubsgo

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Two prevailing theories. Save your best pitcher for the championship. Or, you got to be in it to win it. Obviously, da coach subscribes to the latter. Not saying which is right. I've seen it work out both ways. I've also seen it fail both ways. Luckily if you are from Chicago, it worked out.

- LLCF

(life long Cubs fan)

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
OK, so here is the deal

I was putting the Cubs World Series final game win into Softball Crazy parent perspective. Sometimes even the very best coaches make mistakes, especially while under the pressure of a championship.

Try to cut your volunteer rec coach some slack when he/she makes what you think are fundamental mistakes.

Lol.... that one really did go over my head. That's what I get for not fully reading all the replys.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I picked up on the joke right away, but I think there's a good, serious point to take from this (outside of "cut coaches some slack").

Coaches, don't overthink, don't over-manage. Maddon is an excellent manager, but it was like he couldn't keep his hands off the game the past couple nights. One thing I learned from watching him make a bad move, then another to try to make up for the first, then another, etc. was that sometimes the best managing is to simply let the players play.

Knowing when to put your manager paws all over the game is a skill. I think Maddon bungled it to some extent the past couple games, maybe got a bit too cute. In the end though, the talent on the field overcame (also, Francona made some curious moves, too, so maybe the managers canceled each other out!).

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Good post! There was so much going on in that game... He had a pretty quick hook on Hendricks I thought but man did it create for some great entertainment. Huge props to "Grandpa Rossy" for the HR after taking that shot to the head. I told my DD's he had to hit it over the fence so he wouldn't have to run so hard with that headache!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad