Chants during back swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
It is bush league. I asked an ump about it once. He basically said, "It ain't against the rules, but it is a bush league tactic." We played against the "screamers".

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
I was at two out of the three games of Mizzou vs. Alabama and I was directly above the Mizzou dugout in the first row where I could see directly into the Alabama dugout. I saw them makes lots of noise by shouting and cheering and clapping their hands, but I never saw them banging bats or anything. Maybe I missed something, though. I see a lot of college teams cheering and being loud.....but I see it in 8u through 14u, also. It's funny how some teams stop cheering once they're into 14u through 18u, but when they get into college, they start it back up again.

Feb 7, 2013
It will get a lot worse before it gets better if she continues to pitch in the future. Pitchers need to be tough and not let extreme chanting distract them from the task at hand. Tuning out the noise is just another skill that good pitchers need to learn just like learning a new pitch. Look at it as another milestone in her development as a pitcher.

Jul 4, 2012
JMO, if this bothers the pitcher and moreover, if it negatively affects how well she pitches, she should look at other areas of the game to work on. The better pitchers aren't easily pushed around and are hypnotic when in the circle. But it is definitely bush league especially at the younger ages less than 12 imo.

Jul 4, 2012
One coach I helped had the entire team around the circle firing ping pong balls during the time she was getting her signs all the way through release. It got a lot of laughs and I believe it helped the girls get in the zone too...

Jun 9, 2009
It is bush league. I asked an ump about it once. He basically said, "It ain't against the rules, but it is a bush league tactic." We played against the "screamers".

Yep, total bush.

DD had a High School game the other day. It was a cold, rainy, windy day. Pretty frustrating for pitchers to start with. The other team had a girl who never played, not in the field, didn't bat, just stood in the front of the dugout - wrapped in a blanket :rolleyes: - and yelled obnoxiously whenever DD started her delivery. When DD came off between innings I remarked to her "Too bad that girl never plays so you could get some payback."

She just smiled and said "Don't worry, she plays basketball too." I'm anticipating at least one nasty screen being set when we face them in basketball next year. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG