Catcher's Infractions - Little League vs. NFHS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2014
I do not have access to a Little League rulebook. Only NFHS. Rule 6-3 Article 2. The catcher shall return the ball directly to pitcher after each pitch, except after a K or putout made by the catcher, or to play on a base runner.

Penalty - a ball is awarded to the batter. Exception if the defense is intentionally trying to walk the batter.

3-1 count, no outs, no one on base. Pitcher throws a strike, catcher catches the ball....thinking its a strike three..fires it to first to begin around the horn. The umpire did nothing. This is at the LLWS Big League pool play in Roxana, DE. I suggested he award the batter a ball. As a spectator at the game, I didn't call time and head to the plate ump. Does the Little League rulebook address this?

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
I hate extra rules that don't effect the game. No reason to punish a kid for such a minor slip up on a rule they've probably never heard of. I don't know the LL rules but I hope this isn't one of them.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
Also, how does this apply to throwing the ball to the secondbaseman on a 1st and 3rd situation trying to bait the runner. Not a direct play on the runner but used pretty frequently.

Jun 22, 2008
The rule only applies with no runners on base and every rule set I know of has the rule. LL, I have no idea. Their rules are just modified baseball rules so have no clue if they have this rule or not.

Nov 8, 2014
There a ton of rules that are inane and unknown to players. That doesn't mean they are useless or merely punitive in nature by enforcing them. Carrying the bat to first..stepping outside the box. backing up towards home, using the safety base, hands together for a second on the mound. 3 charged conferences, reporting a defensive sub, staying in the coaching box.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
There a ton of rules that are inane and unknown to players. That doesn't mean they are useless or merely punitive in nature by enforcing them. Carrying the bat to first..stepping outside the box. backing up towards home, using the safety base, hands together for a second on the mound. 3 charged conferences, reporting a defensive sub, staying in the coaching box.

I do agree that all players don't know all the rules and thats fine but I do think this rule sounds punative in nature. I'm assuming its a speed of play rule, and sure if a team is delaying the game by throwing the ball around penalize them but if they make a mistake on a 3-1 count give them a break. Every other rule you listed (except the coaches box one...) seems to have a mostly positive effect on the game but this one I can't find the major upside.

Jun 22, 2008
Its not illegal to carry the bat to 1st in any fastpitch rule set I am aware of, and coaches are only restricted to the coaches box prior to the release of the pitch.

Nov 8, 2014
Its not illegal to carry the bat to 1st in any fastpitch rule set I am aware of, and coaches are only restricted to the coaches box prior to the release of the pitch.

Duly noted...I found the old rule in an NSA Slowpitch book circa 1885, I mean 1996.

In re: Coaches box....does this box have four side or three? I see it is 15 feet long. How wide is it?

Nov 8, 2014
The rule only applies with no runners on base and every rule set I know of has the rule. LL, I have no idea. Their rules are just modified baseball rules so have no clue if they have this rule or not.

NFHS doesn't say that at all in Rule 6-3.

Jun 22, 2008
What do you think it says? It is an infraction except after a strikeout, putout by the catcher, or a play on a base runner (which would then require one to be on base).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug