Can't find any brush instructors

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I am sure that once some of the best pitchers to have taken the circle get a dozen seasons of HS coaching on their resume they will come around and learn to do it right.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I am looking at teaching videos. I don't know who that pitcher is or when he pitched. Clearly people did it back in the day. It looks like it hurts to do it. Actually quite shocking to me and I have been around softball a long time. Clearly he is an adult and we are talking kids who we are teaching.

But if the topic was so critical to pitching success (velocity, spin, control as is said here), how come not one modern lesson out there brings it up (not counting RP posts here)? How come I can't find this concept in other sports?

I consider Ueno old school. We can't translate their stuff so who knows; Japanese pitch closed style and do a lot of hand movements and cutting on the ball. She gym steps and that is not legal. So for all of this, she may not be an example for a student pitcher.

Cat is also old school, as she has said herself. Not many are like her or will ever be.

You may see this stuff or think it is there, but not ONE of these instructors, even CO or AS, describes it or talks about it. So it must not matter that much for teaching the young pitcher.

Maybe old school is the way to go if Cat and Ueno are old school. but who would be new school then? Ricketts (brusher)?

Oh and Rich Balswick also teaches the brush and his pitchers are doing pretty well lately. If you want good pitching instruction on the web you should try this site I know called DFP, it will give you access to all the pitching info you need, that stuff on Youtube is for humor only.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
You know, it doesn't really matter to me that OILF doesn't accept the "brush" as part of good pitching mechanics. We're all entitled to our own opinion. It ain't gonna change the mechanics I teach, which includes the "brush." And, I know it ain't gonna change anyone else's mind either. It's a lonely stance you're taking, OILF. Let us hope that you don't ban its use on your HS softball team. Why? Because I would like to think that it's a decision best left to the pitcher and her pitching coach.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I would like to see you at least offer some reasoning behind your opinion OILF other than "it is old school", I hate seeing people just lock onto ideas for no reason and then hold on to them in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary without some sort of reasonable thought behind the obstinance.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
In a 2012 NPF appearance Monica Abbott threw a pitch at 77mph. Faster than any pitcher before or since. If that is "old school" why is that a bad thing?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet