Can OBS occur after a runner passes home without touching it

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2014
Runner misses home on their way past it. OBS then occurs by a fielder who does not have a ball and is not making a play on the ball. Is this OBS? Is it impeding their baserunning progress? I am sure if they are OBS on their way back to tag the missed plate, they are protected. But can they be OBS after passing home? Are they between bases here? Are they protected back to home?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I'm sure the real umpires will chime in here shortly, but as they are wont to say in very general terms, the base path is whatever the base runner runs and not necessarily the base line. Thus, the base runner should be protected from a defensive player being in the way of the base that the base runner is trying to reach if they don't have the ball. JMO and not necessarily the rule set.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2014
Please note the runner has run past home without touching it prior to a collision with a defensive player as described above.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
That was the point. The BR can run from 3rd through the pitcher's circle over to and down the first base line and tag the plate from that side if they choose and still be in their base path. That still means that the first baseman and catcher can't completely block home plate without the ball.

Jun 22, 2008
This is an interesting subject as in some ways it was just discussed on an officials site, but slightly different in that it involved obstruction while the runner was attempting to return to touch the plate.

Based on the wording of the rules, I personally would not judge the play as presented to be obstruction. The runner has not been impeded in legally running the bases at that point. The collision with a defender occurred after the runner had already passed the plate and by rule once a runner has passed a base they are considered to have legally touched it. If anything, the collision with a defender probably aided the runner by keeping them closer to the plate.

Again, this is my personal opinion based on how I read the rules and have never seen any case play or clarification dealing with this particular play. Im sure MTR or Ajay will chime in sometime today and provide their opinion also.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
My opinion only.....

I would consider the runner to still be legally running the bases. The runner has not completed her base running duties simply by passing the plate since she is subject to appeal for missing the plate. If she is making an attempt to return to touch the plate, I would still call and enforce obstruction if it happened. Since she is not "between" two bases, my judgement on awarding home or not would be solely based on whether or not she could have made it back to home without the obstruction. Every benefit of the doubt would go to the runner.

Again...just my opinion as I have not seen any type of authoritative ruling on this play.

Jun 22, 2008
Now this brings up another point. Umpires are not suppose to tip the defense to base running infractions. If a runner misses home plate on a play at the plate, but either beats the throw on a force play or the defender misses the tag, we are to pause for a moment and then call the runner safe. If an umpire were to signal obstruction after the runner has already crossed home plate, have they not now tipped the defense to a base running infraction?

Sep 29, 2014
Just wondering if intent would have anything to do with it? Say the catcher is stepping and reaching to pick up the dropped ball and bumps the runner would that be any different than say a pitcher (backing up the play) getting between the runner and plate giving catcher time to reach the ball. Understand given [MENTION=3638]ajay[/MENTION]'s interpretation it probably would not matter, but it might with another interpretation. Although not allowing anyone without the ball to impede a runner attempting to touch a base seems to be the underlying principle at play so from a layman without a rulebook at hand's perspective I would probably think the OBS is a good call.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Now this brings up another point. Umpires are not suppose to tip the defense to base running infractions. If a runner misses home plate on a play at the plate, but either beats the throw on a force play or the defender misses the tag, we are to pause for a moment and then call the runner safe. If an umpire were to signal obstruction after the runner has already crossed home plate, have they not now tipped the defense to a base running infraction?

After thinking about this for bit, I would think that the runner trying to return to touch or her coaches/teammates yelling "touch the plate!" would be more of a tip-off than an umpire signaling a DDB for obstruction...

Jun 22, 2008
After thinking about this for bit, I would think that the runner trying to return to touch or her coaches/teammates yelling "touch the plate!" would be more of a tip-off than an umpire signaling a DDB for obstruction...

But in the play presented, the runner is not trying to return to touch home plate. The runner has crossed home plate and makes contact with a defender after passing the plate. As for players yelling to touch the plate, there are plenty of occasions where no one but the umpire has seen the infraction. Signaling obstruction after a runner has crossed the plate is going to be a signal to both teams something has happened.

Again, just my personal opinion absent an official ruling or clarification.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse