Can I get an explanation on "protecting the plate"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 6, 2015
I don't like the term either, I much prefer "Attack the Plate". I want to keep the batter in a more offensive mode.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I like "Know the Situation" as a reminder. That means for example if there is a runner on third in a close game with less than 2 outs and you have 2 strikes you can give extra focus to just hitting the ball on the ground to the right side. Protect the Plate is really a verbal reminder as well. I think it actually says the coach is very worried the batter is not in tune enough and is the type of hitter to watch a third strike. It's kind of like a nervous wish by by the coach that the batter won't strike out and somehow shouting it out will impact the batter.

Jan 24, 2009
Personally, I don't particularly like this saying. I think it puts the batter in a defensive frame of mind. I much prefer them to stay in an offensive frame of mind and attack anything that's close.

Exactly! I never ever EVER use the phrase. It is about as useful as "be a goalie" or "don't let a strike go by" or how about "try not to strike out."

Dec 19, 2012
1. With zero strikes a batter is looking for a pitch in their favorite 6" x 6" zone. My dd prefers mid thigh, middle-in.
2. With one strike a batter is looking for a pitch in the rules stated strike zone.
3. With two strikes a batter is looking for a pitch from river to river, and armpits to mid shin (expanded zone). Foul off the junk and find a pitch to drive.

#3 is what "Protecting The Plate" is.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Until I have two strikes I don't give two Hershey Kisses about the strike zone. The mentality is that I am a predator of the ball, and my criteria for completing my swing is that I can get long-through the ball. It isn't until I have two strikes that I care about the strike zone ... now I am in "battle mode" and I open up the umpire's strike zone slightly. If you want to call that "protect the plate", I'm fine with that ... me, I call it "battle mode".

Jun 22, 2015
Protecting the plate means anything that can poss be considered a strike by the blue needs to get hit. No more waiting for your pitch-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Protect the ump's strike zone. In more advanced levels you better know the umpire's strike zone. His zone may have just changed too, if it's near a time limit and he wants to go home.

As others have said, you lose ability to be picky. Pitch recognition = pitch selection.

If you take a pitch you better look confident. Meek or disinterested body language will generally expand the zone in the umps eyes by 1 or 2 inches.

Feb 9, 2016
If it's close enough for you to hit, it's close enough to potentially be called a strike.

Don't go down looking on a pitch that's just a little bit inside/outside/high/low.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad