Calming DD down before tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2013
We had one of the tryouts that she got invited to last night. She was a little freaked out when we got there because she forgot to put her contacts back in after she went swimming yesterday afternoon but she settled down and did great. We didn't know until the tryout started that the team was made up entirely of 2003 girls. Cricket is an 04. There were 8 girls there and 4 of them were from the team last season and had played together for 4 years. All of the girls were really supportive, which was the most impressive thing to me, and everyone was very positive. I talked to the parents of one of the girls a lot and they were very complimentary of Cricket. She hit the ball great and played her usual outstanding defense at 3rd and SS. Struggled in OF, which is normal but was compounded by the lack of contacts. She got to catch some, but no contacts and having never caught for anyone throwing 50 mph made it a very tough challenge. She hung in there and never flinched away from it though.

When the tryout was over I had her go over and thank the coach for having her out like I always do. He was super positive with her and told her that she did extremely well and would be best suited to find a team of other 2004s to get together with but that she has a ton of potential and that he really liked what he saw from her. She had a horrible headache and was beaten up and very tired on the way home, but I told her that I was incredibly proud of her for how tough she was out there and that she fit in just fine with the older girls.

I was pretty hopeful for this team being the right fit before the tryout. A little disappointed that it was an older team, but very pleased with how she performed. The search continues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi