"California" Bunt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
What difference would it make? If a batter offers at a pitch, swinging or bunting and misses it is a strike regardless of if the ball was in the strike zone or not.

And I agree with you, was not effective in the least with a good defense when I saw it. The girl would have been better off working on drag bunting and slapping.

Permission requested to revise the question. What if she fouls one off w/ 2 strikes?

Jun 22, 2008
I dont see a swing attempt in either video posted. In both cases the bat was just held out with the left hand and the ball was tapped. I have a bunt, if it was foul with 2 strikes I have a dead ball out.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Basically. Left side batter swings the bat low around her body then with left hand bat comes across plate to hit ball. Hard to describe. But if you miss technically the bat crosses home plate twice.

The bat crossing the plate is irrelevant to, well, just about everything. IMO, those who believe this is actually a second-offering at the pitch are fooling themselves since the ball couldn't possibly move that slow and stay airborn :)

A batter may hit the ball in any manner they please with any part of the bat they can as long as they do not have a foot completely out of the box upon contact.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Ok umps we have established this is legal. Now what about this. If in amongst all this foolishness the batter smacks the catcher upside her head while swinging the bat around her body like a baton twirler. Do you have catcher obstruction?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
The technique seems like a giant waste of time to me. There is no real benefit (other than entertainment value for the fans) to be gained by doing this rather than a normal drag bunt. But there are downsides, such as making something that should be simple more difficult and taking time away from practicing actual hitting as others have said.

I didn't see anyone on Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc. using this technique. That is my normal benchmark. If you don't see a gimmick being used in the WCWS, it's probably not worth spending time on.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Ok umps we have established this is legal. Now what about this. If in amongst all this foolishness the batter smacks the catcher upside her head while swinging the bat around her body like a baton twirler. Do you have catcher obstruction?

Not from me. I don't reward idiots for being idiots.

Seriously, I'd just consider none of this part of any swing - so no call on the catcher from me.

Jan 20, 2009
Ken, do you remember Vipin Kumar on the original FPF? He brought it up back then, and his daughter Kirin, went to GA Tech and used it there, ok, not in WCWS.

That being said, how much bunting at all do we see in WCWS?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles