Buying used composite?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
As for buying used composites...just be smart. Remember, consider used bats off ebay NR no matter what they say. Bat warranties arent
transferrable. Now, I know if you have a receipt they will sometimes accept but its tricky as names come into play sometimes. BUT, many
times you buy a used bat off ebay, the seller says it comes with a receipt, and you never end up getting it or its not an authorized
receipt or its out of warranty after they told you it was good. Price the bats worth accordingly as to what you would pay for a NR bat.
And as always...please inspect pictures VERY well. Lots of ebay guys out to pull a fast one and maybe hide a crack just to move it to somebody
else. Then they say it wasnt cracked when they shipped it.
This post was for people in general buying used bats.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021
Thanks again for the info and replies. Yup, bustos seems to be aluminum barrel and composite handle. Not sure if that is gimmicky or a feature that really limits sting. I'm going to have her try out some different bats to see what she feels comfortable swinging. It seems the -13 is something plenty advise against.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Jul 19, 2021
Thanks again for the info and replies. Yup, bustos seems to be aluminum barrel and composite handle. Not sure if that is gimmicky or a feature that really limits sting. I'm going to have her try out some different bats to see what she feels comfortable swinging. It seems the -13 is something plenty advise against.

The next step for girls is usually a drop 11 so try some of those first. Demarini are generally the closest weight to sticker.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
3 general comments.

1. I bought at least 2 used composite bats on here and had no Issues. I would try here 1st. Know nothing about eBay.

2. Bat you are looking at seems to light wieght to me. I never got to hung up into this but you are chasing length at this age. DD was tiny at this age and she was swinging a 30 -10..

3. Making stuff up. Bats with big drops will not last long, I would be hesitant to buy one used.

Dec 11, 2010
I have bought a lot of used bats. I quit when the price of used bats went up. To me, even a bat I paid a third of new market value is a money loser when it gets broken and I don’t have a warranty, depending on how long it lasted before breaking. That money is GONE.

For very young kids though, I would only buy used bats. I would look to pay about half of what I could buy it new. I wouldn’t worry about them breaking at that point.

When you start buying new bats, make a folder or Manila envelope exclusively for your receipts, and staple your Visa/MasterCard monthly receipt to the bat receipt. When the manufacturers warranty runs out, Visa/MasterCard doubles the factory warranty and will refund your original purchase price. You will need both reciepts and a printout of the manufactures warranty, which can be found online.

IDK what Wilson does with warranty returns. Might be one per year, might be as many as you need. I do know that Easton replaced bats for me beyond the year warranty, (as many as we needed), and then I could get my money back for original purchase price. People like to complain about Easton on here. To me they treated me very well and I felt their bats were a good value. Dd liked them. I bought them.

Remember, price is what you pay, value is what you get.

PSA complete.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
When you start buying new bats, make a folder or Manila envelope exclusively for your receipts
Can you please hold a class on this! :D Seems very easy but yet escapes a lot of people

Agreed on price compared to value. I see people all the time complain about a bat bought on ebay that broke. Well, thats
the chance you take. Just like gambling, you roll the dice that the previous owner didnt beat the bat to sh!t and just using
magic eraser to clean it up. Thats why you are paying a cheaper price. But man, some used bat prices arent worth it. Im on
some FB fp pages, and the amount people are paying for NIW NR bats...ridiculous. For 50 bucks more, you can have a new
bat with warranty.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA

Not gimmicky, its a cheaper bat...thats all. Its not going to hit like top tier bats...its not even marketed to say that. But its a good bat
for girls starting that doesnt cost a fortune. The composite handle lets the bat flex more than a metal handle...so the bat still does a little
work for the hitter and its more performance than a complete alloy bat. So kinda does the job its meant to. Its a better cheap bat.

Dec 11, 2010
But its a good bat
for girls starting that doesnt cost a fortune.
This is very true.

It’s way too easy to get caught up in equipment and as my DD’s exited youth sports I started to realize that a lot of kids get left behind in all sports because of money.

Thats really a shame.

I see it more now that I am not involved in youth sports.