Buying used composite?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 1, 2021
Happy Holidays! I found a number of used, seemingly fairly priced, Demarini Bustos which all seem to be from 2014. Perfect size for my daughter but I've never purchased composite bats so I'm a little hesitant to go for one that is 7-8 years old and wonder about the durability. Any thoughts?

I'm not in the market to buy a new, expensive bat for a 10u player.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2015
Bustos is a nice entry level composite that’s not very expensive new so don’t think I’d pay more than 25 for it certainly not more than 50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2018
I can't speak to the bustos, but I just sold two of my dd older Demarini CF's. They are both going to last a long time if taken care of.

Jul 19, 2021
I have bought many used composite bats off of Ebay since my DD was in 14u and have had zero failures so I wouldn't worry at all about a 9 year old ruining one. Kids grow so fast at that age, bats in those sizes are rarely used for more than a season or 2 so they are usually in really good shape with years and years of life left in them. Check the photos closely. You can tell how much one has been used.

Oct 14, 2019
I believe that the Bustos is an aluminum bat with a composite handle. DD had one we bought new for 10u rec ball, but it had a definite rattle within a year or so.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Used bats are often a great purchase for younger kids. They usually don't get the use or wear that older kids can put on them. Good used bats can also be found for HS and even college-age players. There are certain years of Xenos (i.e. 2014) that carry a high sale price. I bought DD a lightly used LXT during HS that worked out great.

Dec 1, 2021
Thanks for all of the replies. Throughout 8u and her first 10u season she was swinging a 27/15. I'd like to get her a bat with more length, 28 or 29 but not up the weight too much right away. I thought a -12 or -13 would be best but looking at used. Although for a new bat, the demarini zenith isn't too pricey.

Jul 19, 2021
Defintely go used. She will likely only be in that bat for a year max before moving up to a -11.

Also, I'm 99% sure the Bustos has an aluminum barrel.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Thanks for all of the replies. Throughout 8u and her first 10u season she was swinging a 27/15. I'd like to get her a bat with more length, 28 or 29 but not up the weight too much right away. I thought a -12 or -13 would be best but looking at used. Although for a new bat, the demarini zenith isn't too pricey.

Unless she’s very small, you might be underestimating her ability to handle more bat. In my experience most average 2nd year 10u players can swing more than the 16 oz you are contemplating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid