Buying into Peel vs Roll Over

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2012
North
I feel my DD will be much better throwing the peel vs the roll over. Trying to get my DD to buy into the peel, that it is not the glamour pitch but is a very good purpose pitch to have. Any thoughts on selling it to her.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm confused by the question. First, you aren't the pitcher. She is. If you are like most parents involved in pitching, you've never thrown a softball pitch to a live batter in your life. So, the whole concept of you trying to tell your DD that she should throw pitch A instead of pitch B seems a tad presumptuous. (Oh, I did the same thing with my DD. Luckily for both of us, she started ignoring me as to pitching hen she was about 15 YOA.)

But, I guess you believe the peel is superior to the rollover because ... oh well, just because, I guess.

Anyway, the rollover and the peel really aren't two different pitches. The peel and the rollover (the rollover is, by the way, a misnomer...the hand never rolls over the ball) are very closely related. The only difference is whether the spin is provided by a vertical movement of the hand or by rotation of the hand at release.

A "pure" peel drop is little more than a "hello elbow" fastball. So, if your DD throws a pure peel drop, she will not get much (if any) movement on the ball. If she is going to get more spin on the ball than a fastball, she has to emphasize the rotation of the hand and forearm at release. How much emphasis she places on the rotation will determine the amount of break on the ball.

If you go for the "crazy emphasis" that you normally see with "rollover drop" pitchers, she'll get a great deal of break on the ball. If she doesn't, she can still get some amount of movement.

In the end, the question is for her to determine what she wants to throw as her killer movement pitch. If she is going to go for the killer rise, she will be using the drop to help set up the rise. In that situation, she really doesn't need a great drop. A marginal drop will be fine. BUT, if she wants to go with the killer drop, then she has to learn to really rotate the forearm at release.

Last edited:
May 22, 2011
I generally have to spend a lot of time working on getting the hellow elbow out of their mechanics, and then it seems very confusing for the girls to try and add in that motion for the peel, it has just seemed more natural for most of the girls i have worked with to roll it over, and it seems you can get a little more tailing action with the roll over.

Nov 23, 2012
North
You are correct in the fact i have never thrown a live game. DD is 12u learning movement pitches now. Good command of fb and cu. Good presense on mound with a gamers mind of working a batter. She's likes the rollover as its bigger drop is more appealing. I don't believe the peel is more superior... just hear the rollover has tendancies to leave injuries if not thrown correct (as with all mechanics). She came from hello elbow roots. sorry would like to type more...back to work :)

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Methods for movement are variables... the spin is absolute. My dd preferres the peel because of the cutter option. By simply digging the index finger nail into one of the 4 seams when pitching a Peel, the ball will cut down AND in on a righty. Or the ring/ middle finger nail to cut away.

Jun 24, 2009
The peel drop isn't a hello elbow action slugger, you don't have clue do you. You need to spend more time studying the pitches. The roll over drop is bad, because you are asking the pitcher to change their mech. to do it. The peel is just released earlier in the motion. Slugger you are giving bad info on this one, you are way wrong. Someone needs to moderator your comments on this subject.
And how many years have you been doing this?

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I think I just wandered into the technical hitting forum. Should make for a fun snow day at work. Keep it going.

Jun 13, 2012
I have pitched MANY games to grown men since the mid 80's and still throw batting practice every week. I throw a peel drop and the roll over and can tell you that the peel drop does in fact have VERY MUCH movement. I prefer a girl throw a peel over a roll over because it is easy for them to just start releasing their fastball further back in their delivery then to teach them to roll the wrist over at a young age. Most girls who throw a roll over drop are the ones who can not figure out the peel drop. If you can teach them at a young age to throw a peel and a change up then slowly incooperate the rise spin, I feel this is the correct progression. The riseball is THE pitch they have to get down as they progress into 14U. A curveball is nothing more than a poorly thrown riseball.

May 7, 2012
Louisville's pitching coach has said they will not teach the roll-over, but, only the peel drop. She says that they use pretty much 3 pitches, the fastball, peel drop and change-up. She was at the softballcon and stated it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32