Burnout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 7, 2009
No, not my daughters (they could play non-stop 365) -- me.

I have two girls playing both travel and school ball, and it's starting to wear on me. Schools are severely underfunded here, so the cost of playing school ball is starting to rival travel costs. That I can handle. What I'm really having trouble with is the attitude from the school and the scheduling. The coaches have been left holding the bag so many times for unpaid players (not mine) that they are now sending home semi-threatening letters about money before the season begins. That I could handle by itself, but now the letters are starting to say that lateness will not be tolerated when picking kids up from school practice. My wife works 1.5 hours away and can't do it, and I am sometimes unable to get there on time as well due to my job. So, it's now just another level of stress added to the already stressful scheduling that the games cause and the lack of a meaningful off season for dear old dad.

I am really close to making this their last year to play school ball, but they do enjoy it, so I'm really just blowing off steam.

end of rant.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would highly recommend setting up some type or carpool, or at least have an emergency contact parent who can pickup your DD when you cannot get there on time.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
unpaid players

We have the same deal here. Our costs have gone up from $600 ( 9th ) to $750 (12th). We have one player who has never paid her full way. Usually about $100-200 only per year. We do fundraisers, but most of the money is from local sponsors. How come every other girl gets out and works the pavement and can raise their full amount and not this girl? ( and no they are not poor , we have other girls with less family income that raise their money ) It really makes some of us mad. The kid is nice, but the parents are nuts. She is a mixed young lady and anytime the coach puts his foot down the mother throws the race card.

We all work together as parents to make sure kids are taken/picked up for practice and games. Also HS means most players have their own cars and the older ones help with the younger for rides.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
What a deal we get at our school. $150 a year for all sports. Not per sport, but all sports. My dd plays Volleyball, Basketball and softball all for that $150 total.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD played school ball for the 1st time this year and I am pretty sure the Team’s #1 rule was having someone pickup your kid on-time, on non-school days or after games. I can understand how this can be hard when they practice something like 9:00 – 11:00AM during the week.

Maybe we are spoiled but on school days they have an activity bus that leaves at @4:00. Takes a little to make it around to your house but they will get your kid home.

Dec 7, 2011
Wow - that stinks!
The general "sports" fee is tiny here too - so much that I don't even remember it.
TB is the investment!

What are you guys paying for? High-end team equipment? Special training items? I don't get it.....

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So, it's now just another level of stress added to the already stressful scheduling that the games cause and the lack of a meaningful off season for dear old dad.

Get your priorities straight--the most important thing in the world for your DDs is to have a healthy, happy Dad and Mom. You have to do something about it. You need to really look at their schedules and carve out some time away from sports doing other things either by yourself or your family.

That I could handle by itself, but now the letters are starting to say that lateness will not be tolerated when picking kids up from school practice.

While I understand where you are coming from, there is a real problem with parents not picking up their kids on time. Coaches have things they have to do after work...like shopping, doctors visits, eating, and sleeping. Perhaps when you are late, she could go over to a friends house?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207