bunting every PA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
Worked with a coach in 12u once. His daughter was struggling at the plate so he decided that she would bunt in EVERY SINGLE AT BAT. Problem is that bunting is hard to do too. So she would be up there bunting at the ball until she got 2 strikes on her. Then, she HAD to swing the bat after having failed at bunting and never swinging the bat earlier in the count.

Now, here is my problem with this kind of thinking...

NOBODY is a good hitter on the first pitch they swing at. Someone who claims to be a first pitch hitter usually really isn't, they just remember one or two times when they hit the first pitch well. I did an analysis one time of our team, tracking how many 1st swing hits there were and the team batting average was something like 200 points LOWER when they put the first pitch they swung at in play than if they hit later in the count. Every now and then, ya...you get that first pitch and you drive it. But more likely, because you are trying to get your timing down and you are making mental adjustments, that first pitch you swing at is going to be missed or fouled off. And that is a GOOD thing.

That kid ended up batting about .150 on the season with next to no walks and only 1 bunt hit all year and striking out 2 out of 3 times for the season. And this was a kid who, while not a great player, wasn't a buck fifty hitter either. The dad's justification was that she was struggling swinging the bat, so he was going to try something new rather than letting her keep swinging and making outs (even though the outs were usually ground balls in the infield...better than a K most of the time).

IMO, bunting is just as hard as hitting. And hitting is next to impossible if you have 2 strikes on you and you haven't swung at a pitch yet. By having someone bunt at (almost) every plate appearance, unless they turn out to be a great bunter and have sufficient speed, you are putting them at a severe disadvantage when they end up having to swing the bat. A bunter needs to be able to get on base at LEAST as often as they could by swinging the bat...even if the only way they get on base when swinging is by getting hit or drawing a walk. Bunting also takes a lot of confidence to stand up in the box, get the bat in the right position, lean closer to the plate, etc. A kid who isn't confident hitting probably isn't going to be confident bunting.

I'd start with a LOT of tee work. Get her used to making contact with the ball. Then move on to side/front toss and make sure she is ALWAYS looking at the ball. Too many kids are looking at the coach in the eye when the ball is released. Move the ball around in front of you and make sure their eyes are tracking the ball and not looking somewhere else. Make sure in front toss that YOU can see BOTH of her eyes. She may have her head turned a little and can only see you with one eye. This causes depth perception problems which might explain bad swings. If this is the case, put an eye patch over her left eye (if she is right handed) so that she has to turn her head all the way forward to see you. Then remove and let her swing that way.

But don't try to turn her into a bunter just because you weren't able to get her to hit last year. Work on hitting mechanics first, and then if she shows promise, teach her to bunt.

Jul 20, 2013
The best part of this sport, to me at least, is to hit the ball. Not to bunt the ball.

Let the girl swing, call bunts only if game situation "needs" it.

I have a brand new girl on our team, dad yells at her and calls her names when he's around, older brother who plays BB comes in the dug out and calls her names, won't let her have her water unless she hits or makes a good throw (which never happens), etc. Lately dad and son haven't been around so thankful for that.

I took upon myself to be that coach that helps her swing and within a week or two she's now at least hitting off a tee. Rewind one week ago and our tee was the object of hitting for this girl. Two weeks and now she can hit about half of the side soft tossed balls (I hate side toss).

Short story, let the girl swing, miss, hit, and bunt and regain her confidence in this sport. She stuck it out the whole other season so she must find fun and satisfaction to a level of her liking to stay. You sound like a great coach as well to come up with a compromise for her and the team. The other lesson could also be that the team needs to pick up that one girl, the one girl who needs help the most.

Feb 7, 2013
Played rec ball against a couple coaches who would frequently bunt the whole lineup and hope the defense would make throwing errors to get on base. Isn't the point of rec ball to development the fundamental skills (such as hitting) of each player not just getting on base anyway you can to win a relatively meaningless game?

May 9, 2014
I think bunting is harder than swinging away, unless the kid is great at bunting I probably wouldn't have them bunt every time at bat, not a winning strategy for development of the player and will likely not do anything to help the team win either.

With bunting you have to control the direction and distance to be successful and that is hard thing to do for many players.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Played rec ball against a couple coaches who would frequently bunt the whole lineup and hope the defense would make throwing errors to get on base. Isn't the point of rec ball to development the fundamental skills (such as hitting) of each player not just getting on base anyway you can to win a relatively meaningless game?

Coach fail. Big time. I would be furious.

May 6, 2015
dissappointed, girl did not register, was looking forward to working with her, she was very sweet :(

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
dissappointed, girl did not register, was looking forward to working with her, she was very sweet :(

Talk about a let down! We were hunkered down to follow her progress all season.

I coached about 3 years of rec, from 8U to first-year 10U, and I vividly remember my least athletic player. She could hit the ball, but never past the pitcher. She had a very slow gait, meaning that if she did hit the ball, it probably needed to get to the fence or she'd still get thrown out at first. Should could catch a ball very well if hit or thrown directly to her. Just didn't move well. Tall lanky girl, no speed or agility.

When her mom told me she wasn't playing one season, I was very disappointed. Said she was going to try tennis of all things. I was thinking maybe golf, bowling, something that didn't require any running. But tennis? I'm sure she found a way to have fun with it. Nice kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse