Building a hitter from scratch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
CoachJD,

What do you know about backwards chaining?

How do you look at the overall swing?

I look at the swing as being a flailing action or whip like action. So everything is geared towards cracking the whip. The sequence everyone refers to is a whip being created.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
CoachJD,

What do you know about backwards chaining?

How do you look at the overall swing?

I look at the swing as being a flailing action or whip like action. So everything is geared towards cracking the whip. The sequence everyone refers to is a whip being created.

A simple answer is, before reading a bunch of threads here and posting this one (and of course watching the linked videos), the "whip" idea is something I got, and that's something I would try to explain to girls (especially the ones that would "push" the bat to just try to make some kind of contact). The sequence is something that I needed to see spelled out, and somewhere (here or a PM, I forget) I had someone link me to a thread that had a pretty good explanation of the entire sequence, so I'm going to start working off that.

Backwards chaining is not something I'm familiar with.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
A simple answer is, before reading a bunch of threads here and posting this one (and of course watching the linked videos), the "whip" idea is something I got, and that's something I would try to explain to girls (especially the ones that would "push" the bat to just try to make some kind of contact). The sequence is something that I needed to see spelled out, and somewhere (here or a PM, I forget) I had someone link me to a thread that had a pretty good explanation of the entire sequence, so I'm going to start working off that.

Backwards chaining is not something I'm familiar with.

Is this the one your talking about ???

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/ken...g-sequence-hips-shoulders-bat.html#post223031

Thought Eric's was pretty good too on first page....Page One

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
CoachJD,

Backwards chaining is like starting with the end of the sequence. For example you might start with the bat lag position, hips open, shoulders near full turn, and swing from there with a good follow through. So you are working on knowing you want to get the body into that position, hips and shoulders turned toward the pitcher. It would also teach the follow through first as an example.

Another way to look at backwards chaining is to do a no stride swing. Starting out with just focusing on the "sit" (back knee/hip flex) into rotation. Your eliminating loading actions to begin with and working on the sequence further down stream, towards the end.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
PC, that's the thread! I'm sure someone will take issue with something Ken says in the last post in that thread, but it all looks pretty good to me.

Shawn, got any good video links of backwards chaining being taught? I think I get what you're saying, but my worry is that I might end up confusing them by not starting at the beginning.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC, that's the thread! I'm sure someone will take issue with something Ken says in the last post in that thread, but it all looks pretty good to me.

Before I would get into backwards chaining... I would get this down pat first !!! JMHO

We carried the Matrix into pitching... I would focus on teaching pitchers to brush...(find the whip) To me JMHO its the same...:cool:

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
CoachJD,

I'll send a PM with a ML hitter.

PerfectCircle,

While deliberate practice is useful or cutting the effort level back to 30, 40, 50% (etc.) that video isn't how I would teach a matrix drill.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
CoachJD,

I'll send a PM with a ML hitter.

PerfectCircle,

While deliberate practice is useful or cutting the effort level back to 30, 40, 50% (etc.) that video isn't how I would teach a matrix drill.

NP.... I found it very helpful for working with my DD. I'm not getting into styles, absolutes, mechanics. I'm thinking you got to have the swing established before you can do it backwards...??? Especially from Scratch...

I'll admit I don't know what your talking about. Just the approach in Backwards Chaining in pitching. I'm in the school of not segmenting. We have used full motion from the beginning. We used the mirror & video for feedback. Then we go at through it in slo-mo, before re-trying.

The OP has been looking for videos since first page... This one is one of our model swings. Like OP, I am interested in what your saying & would like to see video of what your talking about.... Thx Again

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Perfectciricle,

Backwards chaining lets you build the sequence with each drill. It isn't anything like the video of the matrix you showed in a forward chain. It allows each movement to be added on until you arrive at the beginning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles