Bucket Dad Pain

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Oh Man I feel for ya!...I usually don't wear the leg guards when I'm on a bucket; and I rarely sit on a bucket as I like to get lower and move the target around. But I always wear my mask cuz those temp plates have a little lip in front of them that the ball shoots off of. And I can't say how many times I've been crossed up on a pitch, or just didnt react properly to the ball movement or a skip on the ground....scares the bujeezes out of ya! Been hit plenty and just like y'all we keep going for our DD as long as we can.

Just once I HAD to stop and that was because I couldn't throw anymore due to shoulder pain. At that point it was time to do some drills that didn't require me to catch....she never knew!

And in typical fashion when we get home and DW asks "how did it go?" my response is usually.."For her or for me!?"

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If your DD is worried about hurting Daddy, do you really think she will give 100% during practice?

Be smart, wear the gear.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
been there in hitting practice. Daughter hit one up the middle and I never had a chance to react. Was limping for the next 3 days. In an odd way, I was never more proud of her. Solid contact, up the middle and really, really hard.

Now I stand behind a pitching screen though.

I used to reward DD with ice cream if she hit me...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have worn gear for a few years, now. Still not the chest protector though. Those things are extremely uncomfortable for me. If my glove goes on, my face mask goes on. That has never been a problem. Balls off of the plate can rebound into my face, especially if I am bending down low.

I recently inherited a daddy protecter that I don't need. It is for males and looks like a plastic tractor seat with a saddle horn on it. I need to list it for sale, if i can make a box for it. PM me for info on it.

My shin guards are for umpires. They snap on easier and their snaps are plastic. The metal ones get too hot in AZ. BUT, I have taken it on the big toe twice, (last summer) and I need some toe protection, now. I put a knee pad over it for a while and crippled around like that at lessons. My students never know what to expect. :)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I've been thinking of getting this jewel. I can take hits mostly anywhere and walk them off, except one spot........then practice is over for the day.

e0c2b12fdd111267bd1d0a016f95cb71_zps74c153e0.jpg
[/IMG]

May 7, 2008
Tucson
That's it. I have it taking up a 2X2 space in my garage. I need to sell it to someone in Tucson. I don't sit on a bucket, anyway.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
If your DD is worried about hurting Daddy, do you really think she will give 100% during practice?

Be smart, wear the gear.

Exactly why I don't catch for DD anymore. Two fractured toes (twice on the same big toe) and a broken finger (same finger twice). I know she doesn't go all out when I catch because she's worried about me - that's why I pay someone to catch for her.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Stupid hurts and I'm right there with you. Shin bones, knees, nose and the boys. One would think I would suit up, but I like to dance that fine line between tough and stupid.

smddad - are you my long lost brother?

Hit in the shins with drops. Now I wear soccer style shin guards. Plunked from a rise ball on the left eye lid that created a scar. Now I wear a umpire's mask. I turn sideways on the bucket, so I hope I don't have to go to a cup - famous last words!

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
I played baseball into my 30's - I am fighting to prove to myself I can still "do it" with DD over 60mph now. BUT this is ONLY on indoor gym floors where the bounce is perfect.

With drop balls and real outdoors there is no way in he|| that I am out there without shin guards and a catcher’s mask. I also will NOT catch without my protective bucket. I roll back on the bucket for each pitch and it has effectively guarded the area you don't want to get hit in at all costs.....

I will always remember a tournament back in the 12U days, ….still at around 55mph then. I was not paying attention and so wasn't DD. She threw me a FB on my bucket while my head was turned watching the adjacent game. The ball perfectly and squarely impacted off my lower knee where I have a beautiful dead spot where I took a spike in baseball many years ago. The FB ricocheted back towards DD which would have been a pretty good base hit up the middle. DD was staring at me with disbelief and we both ended up laughing at the incredibly lucky mishap while watching the bruise swell out with each pump of my ole heart…. It could have been really bad as I had zero gear on then….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad