BU positioning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I'm taking my info straight from the ASA umpire manual. Look at the section that describes positioning and coverage for all the different possible runners on base scenarios. Then look at what it says the plate umpire should do on an infield ground ball with runner on first and second.

When you say "hold near the plate" are you sure they didn't mean go to the "holding area" (which is in foul territory, about 1/2 ay up the third base line).

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
BretMan, I know exactly what portion of the book you are talking about. I'm only relaying some of the instruction (in more than one clinic, including the locals FWIW) of what I've been taught on numerous occasions. The instruction was generally revolving around the holding zone and shortening it up to get a better look at 1B. Again, this assumes you are reading the play and that's where the ball is going. In one clinic, I clearly recall the instructor stating to take a few steps up the 3B line, holding there, then moving the rest of the way up line for a possible throwback to 3B.

Perhaps this is wrong, and taking a gamble that the offical is competent enough to read that the 1st play going to 1B, but I'm curious to know if others practice this at all. I haven't had any trouble with it yet, but hey, I'm sure my day is coming for simply mentioning it now. :D

At the end of the day, I still think I'm right about PU responsible for observing for a pulled foot at 1B no matter where on the field when the play is going there as I stated in my post. PU might just be simply observing from a different area. I also agree that PU may be of no help on pulled foot depending on circumstance. As we all know, there are so many compromises in 2 man, it's virtually impossible to cover all scenerios that could occur.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I think that we're both talking about the same thing, just a few feet apart in what we're calling "the holding zone".

A few steps up the line is, what three to five steps? In other words, about 10-15 feet. Halfway up the line would only be a few more steps. And, if the umpire is jogging out quickly...even fewer steps to get there.

At the end of the day, I still think I'm right about PU responsible for observing for a pulled foot at 1B no matter where on the field when the play is going there as I stated in my post.

I don't disagree and don't think that I did. My only point was that the plate umpire could be just as far, or farther, away from first base than is the base umpire and might not be able to offer much help on the call. Still, if the play is going to first, he should see what he's able to see over there (plus watch for runners touching third, interference, obstruction, etc.).

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
No, but MTR did, which is why I tossed that comment in there. :D

The PU trails the runner to ASSIST should the BU need or ask for help. At no point does it state in the ASA umpire manual that the PU has any responsibility at 1B.

Mar 2, 2013
The PU trails the runner to ASSIST should the BU need or ask for help. At no point does it state in the ASA umpire manual that the PU has any responsibility at 1B.

So now you want the PU to trail with R2 on 2nd base at the time of the pitch? Yikes!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
So now you want the PU to trail with R2 on 2nd base at the time of the pitch? Yikes!

Don't be stupid. Any decent first year umpire knows that you do not trail any time you have a runner starting beyond 1B and even with just a runner on 1B, the PU may not have the opportunity to do that.

Don't worry, you'll eventually get there.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
Don't be stupid. Any decent first you umpire knows that you do not trail any time you have a runner starting beyond 1B and even with just a runner on 1B, the PU may not have the opportunity to do that.

Don't worry, you'll eventually get there.

Ironic :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd