BU positioning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2013
Umpire,
Thanks for trying. I appreciate your willing ness to look at a subject with unclouded perspective. I'm sorry you will probably be kicked out of the club due to your openmindedness.

Many umpires are what I call clones. They are told to do something. They don't question it. They never deviate from it. They don't understand the reasoning behind it. They just do it. It's often why they think they are in the best spot, just to blow the call. It's also why they think they know a rule and apply it, but don't realize that it isn't applicable in a particular situation.

When I bring up some "different," I am either called an idiot or someone comments that there is no need for change. I am called a "fake innovator." Many times, it really isn't something new, but just something that hasn't been adopted before. It's been discussed, but not put in writing. Clones travel in packs. They support each other. They make each other feel warm and fuzzy. They don't miss anything on the field, just ask them. What they don't know is that they don't know what they don't know.

As I pretty much said, if I'm doing a competitive game, I'll be over near short stop with a runner on third. If I am praying for an infield fly just to get the 1st out, you'll likely find me on the 1st base side of the infield.

Apr 12, 2013
i agree with country boy. you make sense. your perspective and reasoning are spot on. instead of dismissing you as uninformed and falling into lockstep with the clones , i think a few other posters and their cronies would be better served if they opened their eyes and mind and took a good look at your methods. thank you for an innovative , unique , modern and i think effective view of officiating

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
MTR,
Is it a requirement in your area to be arrogant and condescending? If so, you must be a top rated official!

I asked a question hoping for enlightenment and discussion. Instead, I got your close minded perspective. Instead of an intellectual discussion that maybe discussed different options, I got attitude from you because I dared question the decades old system.

You are probably correct. Umpire positioning is not about logic and odds. It's about doing it the same way you always have. Because to change it would mean you weren't perfect, and you definitely won't ever admit that, will you MTR?

You got more than an intelligent answer, but you refuse to listen with an open mind. I've been through and taught schools from the local associations to ISF and I can tell you, while I don't agree with everything they do, 99% of the time, they are providing the umpire with the best position available to accommodate ALL plays allowing for the priority of the importance of the call, not a specific "most likely" percentage play. The high-percentage plays are the easy ones to call, some so easy a monkey could do it. It is the tough, unlikely play for which the umpire must be prepared because it is more likely THAT will be the play which may turn the game and a team should not lose that opportunity just because you want to make the umpire's life easier.

There is more than 80 years of experience that goes into these mechanics by some very intelligent people and they are constantly changing, unlike what you have been getting fed by your new best friend. Then again, change for the sake of change is not something that should be considered lightly. And I can tell you that there have been some long, drawn out debates at national UIC clinics when changes that may not seem popular are effected. And these changes are often tested at several local levels before being presented to the masses.

Umpire,
Thanks for trying. I appreciate your willing ness to look at a subject with unclouded perspective. I'm sorry you will probably be kicked out of the club due to your openmindedness.

Now, that is funny.

Oct 25, 2009
Runner at 3B, less than 2 outs. I would estimate the odds of a play happening at 3B on the next pitch to be about 1:100. And even then, it may not be a close play. The odds of a play at the plate to be about 9:100. A play at 1B to be about 90:100. So the mechanics have a BU positioned to optimally cover the 1% play. I think my issue is with the mechanics.

No offense to the Umpires out there, but we all see missed calls at 1B when you are close to the bag. Don't tell me it's an easy call from 80-90 feet. I am sure all of the men/ women in Blue on this forum are young and in great shape and hustle to get in the best position possible. That is not the reality I see in every day competition, however.

But I've never won a discussion when I questioned an Umpire's call and I'm not going to accomplish anything here. I was just hoping there was a better reason for that positioning than I was seeing. Thanks for your help.

That's funny! We all see missed calls at 1B when the ump is a few feet away and we are 80+ feet away in the bleachers looking through a chain link fence with 20+ other fans between us and the play.

I can't believe what fans think they see sometimes. Including myself. I recently witnessed a fair ball down 3rd base line that EVERY ONE of the defensive fans saw as foul. I was a neutral fan, just watching the game. The ump made the correct call. Just amazing what your mind tells you—or what you tell your mind maybe?

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
That's funny! We all see missed calls at 1B when the ump is a few feet away and we are 80+ feet away in the bleachers looking through a chain link fence with 20+ other fans between us and the play.

I can't believe what fans think they see sometimes. Including myself. I recently witnessed a fair ball down 3rd base line that EVERY ONE of the defensive fans saw as foul. I was a neutral fan, just watching the game. The ump made the correct call. Just amazing what your mind tells you—or what you tell your mind maybe?

Fans see the game with their heart...Umpires see the game with their eyes....

Dec 16, 2011
Many umpires are what I call clones. They are told to do something. They don't question it. They never deviate from it. They don't understand the reasoning behind it. They just do it. It's often why they think they are in the best spot, just to blow the call. It's also why they think they know a rule and apply it, but don't realize that it isn't applicable in a particular situation.

When I bring up some "different," I am either called an idiot or someone comments that there is no need for change. I am called a "fake innovator." Many times, it really isn't something new, but just something that hasn't been adopted before. It's been discussed, but not put in writing. Clones travel in packs. They support each other. They make each other feel warm and fuzzy. They don't miss anything on the field, just ask them. What they don't know is that they don't know what they don't know.

As I pretty much said, if I'm doing a competitive game, I'll be over near short stop with a runner on third. If I am praying for an infield fly just to get the 1st out, you'll likely find me on the 1st base side of the infield.

Over 3,500 FP games in one aspect or another and I find no fault with the correct C position.

Joel

Apr 12, 2013
Over 3,500 FP games in one aspect or another and I find no fault with the correct C position.

Joel

im sure i havent had that many but i can find faults and benefits from any position on the field. im sure if you gave it some thought you could find faults with the C position as well. the 2 man system is a matter of compromises. no matter where you are, youre never going to be in the optimum position for every possible play

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
im sure i havent had that many but i can find faults and benefits from any position on the field. im sure if you gave it some thought you could find faults with the C position as well. the 2 man system is a matter of compromises. no matter where you are, youre never going to be in the optimum position for every possible play

Even a 6-umpire game cannot cover it all. You are correct, it is compromise.

Dec 16, 2011
You do note I said correct "C" position.......

I was once the "question everything" umpire.....and that will get you ahead when you are right. But when you are questioning the wrong stuff.....you're kinda screwed.

Questioning stuff is good.....arguing for the sake of it, is bad.

When I was young and inexperienced........C could sometimes be a challenge.....as I gained experience.....those plays became routine.

Quit dumping on new umpires and the problem goes away. They actually hang around long enough to get really good......and sometimes get to be great.

Joel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerard