Broken toe

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2012
We were in Pekin, Il this weekend for an indoor tournament. DD (14U) was pitching the first game on Saturday and took a hard shot off the left big toe and shin in the first inning. Her coach tried to pull her but she wouldn't come out. Coach told her she had a few pitches to show she could stay in and ended up with an 11-0 shut out that game. The toe is a dark blue and bled a little during games on Saturday and Sunday. She pitched three innings on Sunday and played third both Saturday and Sunday after being hit.

Has anyone dealt with a broken big toe on the landing foot for a pitcher? Was she shut down and if so for how long? We let her decide if she played or not and talked with her frequently to make sure the pain wasn't getting worse or other issues cropping up with the toe.

Jun 24, 2013
DD was shutdown for a month last year with a broken small toe on her landing foot, IDK if the big toe will take longer to heal.

Done with SB all together not just pitching, like your DD it was turning black just playing the field.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I loved going to the Dragon Dome. My dd played there every winter from her freshman year to senior year. I am not a Doctor, Trainer ... and so, let me first say that if you think it is broken, you need to have xrays or MRI. For injuries such as you described and after 3 days of rest, we took two buckets. Filled one with ice water. Filled the other with very warm but not hot water. We alternated soaking my player's foot in the buckets for 5 minutes. We started and ended in the ice water. We did three turns. Again, I am not a Doctor, trainer ... My first advice is always to see a doctor. Good luck!

Feb 16, 2012
She is going today to have it looked at. I'm hoping she didn't do more damage by continuing to play. We won't play again until May so if it had to happen glad it happened now and not later in the season. She has been icing it off and on since Saturday and I was going to start alternating cold/hot today.

Jun 24, 2013
Hopefully she will be OK. DD didn’t damage it more by playing on it just would never heal until she stopped playing for a little while.

Feb 16, 2012
Doc thought it was broke but xray says no. She needs to rest it for a while and then it will be whatever she can tolerate.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I broke mine about 15 years ago. My son hit me with a fast ball. I was catching. I hobbled around on it, all evening and went to bed. By 2AM, I was in so much pain, that I had to go to the ER. So, my advice always is, is you can sleep through the night you are ok. Did the doctor advise her to wear one of those broken foot shoes? And keep it elevated.

Feb 16, 2012
She just advised to keep taping it since it wasn't broken but severely bruised. I'm hoping with a week's rest she will be able to do lessons and at least some of practice.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Not broken is good news. If you get the timing right, the heat/cold should take care of some of the trapped blood. However, rest is important.

Jul 26, 2010
Mine is still black from when some moron dropped a plate on it in the gym 2 months ago. A podiatrist can help, being a young woman I can understand why she'd want to go that way. For me, I don't care, I just tell my students that it turned black when I landed wrong pitching so they should pay attention.

-W

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp