Breakup guilt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
We had a girl on an older team in our organization that played for the team since 11U. They were/are a powerhouse winning several big tournaments and placing high in others every year. The team would travel the country and play the best of the best(and were considered one as well). All but 2-3 girls were verbal led by their Junior year. Well, said girl signed with a top 25 Div I school last year, and was told to quit team and join their preferred team.

This team continued to do well, and the girl moved to her new team. Both teams played good schedules, and were competitive. Honestly, no real reason for the coach to have her switch teams, except maybe to keep tabs on her.

I think that showed a real lack of class for the kid and her family after coach taught this girl everything she knows.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
We had a girl on an older team in our organization that played for the team since 11U. They were/are a powerhouse winning several big tournaments and placing high in others every year. The team would travel the country and play the best of the best(and were considered one as well). All but 2-3 girls were verbal led by their Junior year. Well, said girl signed with a top 25 Div I school last year, and was told to quit team and join their preferred team.

This team continued to do well, and the girl moved to her new team. Both teams played good schedules, and were competitive. Honestly, no real reason for the coach to have her switch teams, except maybe to keep tabs on her.

I think that showed a real lack of class for the kid and her family after coach taught this girl everything she knows.

Don't know the whole story, so maybe you're right, but that seems like a harsh judgment on the kid. Is it unforgivable for her to want to play on another team? Maybe she appreciates her team and coach but feels the previous team/coach has taught her all they can and she feels she'll grow/development more somewhere else. Going to a new program where you have to prove yourself could be a good experience to get ready for what her college team will be like. If the original team truly is a national powerhouse, then they should be able to find a replacement who then will be pretty thrilled to grow and learn from her new team as well.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Also, I am not sure the blame should be put on the kid. If the college coach really was putting pressure on the kid to switch teams, the onus should be on the coach. It is very hard for a kid to go against a college coach, potentially damaging her relationship with her college coach and possibly limiting her playing time for her college team, in order to make her TB organization happy.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
Also, I am not sure the blame should be put on the kid. If the college coach really was putting pressure on the kid to switch teams, the onus should be on the coach. It is very hard for a kid to go against a college coach, potentially damaging her relationship with her college coach and possibly limiting her playing time for her college team, in order to make her TB organization happy.

Good point. It doesn't make it any easier for the TB coach to swallow. After all, these girls are like his kids after that many years.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez