Blind Parent !!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2012
Know all the facts, pay attention at practice & wait at least 24hrs after the game to question the coach about your kids playing time.
Parent: "How do you you determine playing time"?
Coach: "Attitude, Hustle, Performence during practice/games"
Parent: "My DD is the best hitter on the team she gets a hit every time up" "she also has a great glove"
Coach: ''She hit good today but missed multiple base running signs and had 3 errors in 1 inning last tournament"
Parent: "She didn't have any errors in last tournament.
Coach: "3rd game of our last tournament she had 3 errors at 3rd base two of which were on consecutive plays.
Parent: "She's not an infielder, I prefer her in the outfield" (wow...1st time a parent said there DD isn't an infielder) (Note: she's been the backup 3B all season)

Most coaches will put the time in to help your daughter get better but there's more to the game than Batting AVG.

Sorry to Rant but parents need to be realistic about there kids ability.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Funny...
On a side note, I picked up a new girl last fall. She was a slow pitch girl (no FP experience) but I thought that with supportive family and lots of practice I could turn her into a decent player. Her swing was LOOOOOONG and casted out, very slow. After literally 5 months of practice her improvement was minimal at best. Its as if she retains none of what she learned between practices. So last week I had reached my tipping point and decided to move her to the left side. No muscle memory to fight on the left side. Shes a smaller/ speedy body type, so slapping is a good option. Fast forward to today. She was a no show at practice, and when I got home I found a text from her mom saying she felt like I was treating her dd like she wasn't good enough, and honestly she isn't. But I love a good success story and thought if I worked with her hard enough she could emerge into a decent player. But no luck...now it looks like I'm another player short.

Nov 23, 2012
Sounds like you also have a young team. We're 12U with all 1st year TB players.
I'd love to ask Mr. / Mrs. Daddy Ball Goggles if they'll acompany there adult kids on there first job interview.
Politics don't fly on our team earn your spot or hit the road!!!

Jan 25, 2011
Sounds like you also have a young team. We're 12U with all 1st year TB players.
I'd love to ask Mr. / Mrs. Daddy Ball Goggles if they'll acompany there adult kids on there first job interview.
Politics don't fly on our team earn your spot or hit the road!!!
Just remember, the coach can have goggles on to. Do you all ready have the #1 pitcher and down picked, what happens when the new girl is better than the supposed #1? Seen that happen with my own dd, she was new to the team and ended up the #1. She would pitch more then the returning supposed #1 and then would come in during games and mop up the messes. The parents of the old #1 had two dd's that were 1&2 and lost their minds about my dd and started crap. They destroyed the team, the grandfather even tried to start a fight with me. No ones position is safe. We could also start a thread on blind coaches.

Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
We all need to remember, we are all our own childrens advocate. I have no problem wih a parent wanting to discuss the how and whys of my madness;) I iwll tell them lets talk at such and such time, a time of my choosing when I hope we are both relaxed and level headed. Like Nanotech14 posted, once you declare she did not play because ... You need to consistently apply that to all players on your team, otherwise you may have a mutiny. If I was that parent, although I would of handle it differently, I would of followed up, did other players miss signs? have errors? .... Were they treated the same way? I will sometimes approach a question like that with my plan to improve that particular player.
ex. Parent: "How do you you determine playing time"?
Coach: "Playing time is determined by a lot of things. What we are working on with your daughter is picking up signs at the plate of on base, Her glove position when fielding grounders which leads inot her footwork on the throws, ......(be honest on what your plan for that girl is)"
Parent: "My DD is the best hitter on the team she gets a hit every time up" "she also has a great glove"
Coach: "First off nobody gets a hit everytime up (smile) Now describe her batting, syes she make good contact, we are still workiong on her for signs, understanding where she should try to hit/place the ball, working on linking her legs to the swing,... what ever you are working on with her.

To finish I would recommend here are some drills/things you can do at home with here to strengthen her in these areas.

Nov 23, 2012
Nano
Yes I have a DD on the team and I can assure you it's the polar opposite of Daddy ball in my case.
In the past I pushed my daughter to much and expected more from her than the rest of the team.

Sport
The last 2 practices we had prior to last tournament this player was given homework of things she needed to work on Signs & Hitting. Over the last month her skills at practice had been regressing so much so that 2 weeks ago her Dad jump put down his Ipad jump up from his chair and ran down the fence line to yell at her.
When we offered her a spot I spoke with the Dad regarding her skill level which was very raw but she seemed to take instruction well and was very athletic. Parents in this case never worked with her outside of practice but i'm sure they told her she was great and didn't need to work hard.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
There will always be parents who wear "rose colored glasses" when it comes to their DD and her abilities, and you can find them at every level of the game - rec, travel, middle school, high school, college.....

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I don't doubt the original poster's assessment of this player, so this isn't directed at that. ...

But the posts that have followed do remind me that if a parent has a higher opinion of his/her daughter than the coach does, that doesn't mean that the parent is wrong. Coaches (including myself) think their assessment of players is the correct one. If parents disagree, then by definition they are unrealistic from the coach's point of view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball