Bill Hillhouse talking about softball hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Then do so .... but if it isn't too much trouble, put it into a different thread. I believe you posted similar video in a thread earlier ... that may be a good place.

This should be a fun August softball duldrum diversion. But just to make sure you aren't being slippery, is this you agreeing to post before and after of some of your pitching and hitting students as well? The reason I ask is that before and afters of my DDs are already posted in various locations on this site and I have never seen a clip of any of your students so if you aren't ponying up then there is no reason to re-post stuff I have already posted.

Feb 28, 2010
Trying to keep on topic of riseball and hitting, and want to add to discussion on that. First of all, I believe there are at least two kinds of riseballs.

1. Riseballs that can be thrown through the zone for a strike.

2. Riseballs that consistently miss the zone high for a ball.

I think this differentiation will help move the discussion, because these are two entirely different kinds of pitches. If a pitcher has control of both of them, the hitters will be in for a very long day. As an example, watch the freshman pitcher for Alabama last year. She had control of both. Teams swung, tried to stay on top of a pitch that ended up way too high, and often took pitches that looked fat down the middle as they tried to lay off the high pitch that ended up as a ball. She had great success.

Another example of problems when trying to hit a good, fast riseball, is the Arizona State vs. Georgia, either World series or Super Regionals, I don't remember it was a few years back.
I asked the then Georgia assistant coach about preparation for that riseball of Escobedo. He said that they cranked up the riseball machine to 70 mph and practiced getting on top of the ball and driving it. The result, and I'm going on memory here so the numbers might not be exact, first game Escobedo had 11 k's. Next game they laid off the high pitches and only k'd like 4 times. Lost both games I think, but the point was that they were not successful trying to hit a high pitch which just continued to get higher and was almost never a called strike. Hardly anybody is successful at this. Once in a while yes, but once in a while even I can hit the ball.

In a game situation, you have to understand the strike zone of the particular umpire and the tendencies of the pitcher. If the pitcher throws a rise that is consistently called a ball, why in the world would you try to hit that and not look for something lower in the zone? Especially with the new tighter strike zone in NCAA Div 1 softball. Being ahead in the count is not such a bad thing.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Trying to keep on topic of riseball and hitting, and want to add to discussion on that. First of all, I believe there are at least two kinds of riseballs.

I think this differentiation will help move the discussion, because these are two entirely different kinds of pitches. If a pitcher has control of both of them, the hitters will be in for a very long day. As an example, watch the freshman pitcher for Alabama last year. She had control of both. Teams swung, tried to stay on top of a pitch that ended up way too high, and often took pitches that looked fat down the middle as they tried to lay off the high pitch that ended up as a ball. She had great success.

Another example of problems when trying to hit a good, fast riseball, is the Arizona State vs. Georgia, either World series or Super Regionals, I don't remember it was a few years back.
I asked the then Georgia assistant coach about preparation for that riseball of Escobedo. He said that they cranked up the riseball machine to 70 mph and practiced getting on top of the ball and driving it. The result, and I'm going on memory here so the numbers might not be exact, first game Escobedo had 11 k's. Next game they laid off the high pitches and only k'd like 4 times. Lost both games I think, but the point was that they were not successful trying to hit a high pitch which just continued to get higher and was almost never a called strike. Hardly anybody is successful at this. Once in a while yes, but once in a while even I can hit the ball.

In a game situation, you have to understand the strike zone of the particular umpire and the tendencies of the pitcher. If the pitcher throws a rise that is consistently called a ball, why in the world would you try to hit that and not look for something lower in the zone? Especially with the new tighter strike zone in NCAA Div 1 softball. Being ahead in the count is not such a bad thing.

Another great example would be the Tennessee vs Arizona 2007 WCWS where Monica Abbott seemed dominant until Arizona AC Alica Hollowell started throwing riseballs to the Wildcats in BP. In the final, winner-take-all game they feasted on Abbott for 10 hits and 5 earned runs. Some of the Wildcats were sitting on Abbott's riseball.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
I tried reading this thread as mixed in were some valid points.

But alas the repeated direct insults make it very hard to focus on anything of real value here.

Im very surprised that the cyber bullying is being allowed. To specifically tell someone they are an Idiot is not very mature let alone productive. Then to call them a douche.

Ive seen threads closed for one sarcastic insult yet several demeaning comments are allowed along with a signature in a persons profile which is being shown on EVERY post they ever made.

Very unprofessional and a poor example to the kids that are looking at these forums.

No one deserves to be treated this way-bullied. Embarrassing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I tried reading this thread as mixed in were some valid points.

But alas the repeated direct insults make it very hard to focus on anything of real value here.

Im very surprised that the cyber bullying is being allowed. To specifically tell someone they are an Idiot is not very mature let alone productive. Then to call them a douche.

Ive seen threads closed for one sarcastic insult yet several demeaning comments are allowed along with a signature in a persons profile which is being shown on EVERY post they ever made.

Very unprofessional and a poor example to the kids that are looking at these forums.

No one deserves to be treated this way-bullied. Embarrassing.

The more kids you work with the more you will come across the bully syndrome. IMO it often traces back to an individual having a insecurity issue and/or a need for attention.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

I recall the commentator referring to Escobedo as being "Effectively Wild".

b8kck7.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This should be a fun August softball duldrum diversion. But just to make sure you aren't being slippery, is this you agreeing to post before and after of some of your pitching and hitting students as well? The reason I ask is that before and afters of my DDs are already posted in various locations on this site and I have never seen a clip of any of your students so if you aren't ponying up then there is no reason to re-post stuff I have already posted.

Slippery?

Help me understand how your mind works. What do you believe I've agreed to? What makes you believe that I've agree to what you believe I agreed to?

You gained this belief from what? From my request that you post the videos that you wish to post in a more appropriate thread?

You continue to have me believing that you are argumentative, dishonest and purposefully unintelligent at times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG