Best cleats for catchers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 27, 2015
So I know you can get special cleats for pitchers, my 13 year old has already gone thru a pair, but is there a certai. Kind of cleats that are best for catchers? They spend so much time squatting down. Is it better to get the high top cleats for ankle support or just whatever they are most comfortable in?

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
It all depends in your DD. I personally used low and mid with an insole for comfort. A good insole works great for comfort but as far as my DD she doesn't care. Shes used Mizuno, NB, and is now wearing UA(all low). If you're worried about wear and tear that's something we've never worried about but comfort is all we talk about when choosing a pair. I'd take your DD to the local sporting goods and try some on and if price is a concern just look them up online.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would recommend the heavy duty Ringors. Most catchers are not known for their speed, so the extra ounces that make them heavy duty add durability.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
We have tried Easton, Ringor, Nike, 3N2 and Mizuno. DD likes the Mizuno's best - I found a deal on men's leather ones and bought three pairs because she goes through them so fast. Just don't get 3N2's - the bottom of the shoe where the cleats attach separated from the rest of the shoe less than a month after she got them. 3N2 sent a replacement pair and they did the same thing - they don't have a flex point along the ball of the foot so they just come apart. DD likes the Mizuno's because the bottom of the shoes are super flexible.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We have tried Easton, Ringor, Nike, 3N2 and Mizuno. DD likes the Mizuno's best - I found a deal on men's leather ones and bought three pairs because she goes through them so fast. Just don't get 3N2's - the bottom of the shoe where the cleats attach separated from the rest of the shoe less than a month after she got them. 3N2 sent a replacement pair and they did the same thing - they don't have a flex point along the ball of the foot so they just come apart. DD likes the Mizuno's because the bottom of the shoes are super flexible.

I had a pair of 3n2 turf shoes that did the same thing...threw them away and vowed "never again"!

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I have been wearing Under Armour cleats for the last few seasons and have been very happy with them. The pair I have now are very beat up and need replaced. I'm thinking about maybe trying Mizuno cleats but don't know whether or not to take the plunge.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD is currently wearing UA mids (surprisingly light!). She prefers cleats that have 4 spikes on the heel, rather than 3 (NB, for example), and prefers mid-tops.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
My DD wears Boombah and has not had any complaints. She had ringors last year and complained about the comfort of them a lot. Find a pair that fits well, provides support and that she won't mind wearing for 12 hours a day 3 days a week.

Jan 3, 2014
Mine wears turf shoes when she catches, indoors or out, Mizuno spikes when not catching.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom