Being lucky

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
There are many stats that are more indicative of a quality batter than the QAB stats. I rarely looked at them and when I did many times our weakest batters had high QAB% but had low batting averages, OBP, OBS, and scored a lot fewer runs than our better hitters.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
There are many stats that are more indicative of a quality batter than the QAB stats. I rarely looked at them and when I did many times our weakest batters had high QAB% but had low batting averages, OBP, OBS, and scored a lot fewer runs than our better hitters.

Perhaps the intent is to use the stat to make a player feel better about themselves. :)

The phrase is extremely subjective and cannot be quantified. It is most often used by fans and broadcasters speaking about the game. It is also used as a compliment from players and coaches to a batter who strikes out but did very well getting the pitcher to throw a lot of pitches. An example of its usage in that case would be, "Billy really had a quality at bat, he made him throw 12 pitches!"

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Perhaps the intent is to use the stat to make a player feel better about themselves. :)

I am guilty of this myself at times. I do not keep the stat "officially" with my other stats, but as I am doing the book I will place a little star next to any at bat that results in an out but showed me something from the hitter. Any of the number of examples that have been listed may qualify. Then as I am speaking with individual players, I will comment on the positives as much as I can. For example, in our first game last weekend, one particular player struck out in her first two at bats. During her third at bat she hit a hard line drive that was caught by the third baseman. The hitter's head went down immediately (lack of confidence). So I used it as a way to try to build her confidence. Some players need that boost more than others.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
An example of its usage in that case would be, "Billy really had a quality at bat, he made him throw 12 pitches!"

While it's nice that the opposing pitcher was worked for 12 pitches, I've never believed the batter deserved much credit for it, especially in the case of a strikeout. It would mean that Billy swung at at least 6 pitches, perhaps 12, and failed each time to put the ball in play. If Billy had grounded out to the shortstop on his first swing, that's more impressive in terms of the goal of squaring up the pitch than never squaring up in 6-12 swings, but somehow a 12-pitch at-bat is seen as something heroic.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
While it's nice that the opposing pitcher was worked for 12 pitches, I've never believed the batter deserved much credit for it, especially in the case of a strikeout. It would mean that Billy swung at at least 6 pitches, perhaps 12, and failed each time to put the ball in play. If Billy had grounded out to the shortstop on his first swing, that's more impressive in terms of the goal of squaring up the pitch than never squaring up in 6-12 swings, but somehow a 12-pitch at-bat is seen as something heroic.

Coogan, you made me laugh. Your post reminded me of at-bats where I'd see a kid with a lacking hand-path struggle to square-a-ball ... basically fouling off many pitches that should have been well squared.

Dec 4, 2013

If your first 9 hitters had 12 pitch at bats and all struck out, I really like your chances in the second half of the game........

I am coming from the perspective that you are facing a quality pitcher that changes speeds and locates. If your facing a meatballer and fouling everything off and not squaring the ball up I think that would be a different story.....

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
If your first 9 hitters had 12 pitch at bats and all struck out, I really like your chances in the second half of the game........

I am coming from the perspective that you are facing a quality pitcher that changes speeds and locates. If your facing a meatballer and fouling everything off and not squaring the ball up I think that would be a different story.....

I'm thinking the same 'story'....bad bat path....and unlucky to boot.:p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi