Before the Brush

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
It should be part of the lean... not slide, then lean then go. Start the lean during the transfer of weight rearward. Also, get her to keep the elbow into her body, behind the side seam of her shirt.

To your point...

eu08xg.gif

How you been slacker? :D Kaitlyn hit 53mph last week...Julia and DD2 inching towards 50...playing 14U indoor tournament Thanksgiving weekend...CP

CP

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
To your point...

eu08xg.gif

CP

Seeing the slide in one motion.... not seeing her fire off that back foot though. She slightly turns pivot foot, swims & needs to land with less angle...22degree, to get the hip out more....JMHO .... Yes I know who was MVP in 2014:cool:

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Seeing the slide in one motion.... not seeing her fire off that back foot though. She slightly turns pivot foot, swims & needs to land with less angle...22degree, to get the hip out more....JMHO .... Yes I know who was MVP in 2014:cool:

Slide\lean is one motion AFTER the weight moves to her left leg...that was my point...that's why I slowed those frames.

Who said anything about firing off the back foot?

CP

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
To your point...

eu08xg.gif

How you been slacker? :D Kaitlyn hit 53mph last week...Julia and DD2 inching towards 50...playing 14U indoor tournament Thanksgiving weekend...CP

CP

Miss you guys... hope I can see them soon. Tell them all I said hello... and keep on keeping on! You get a minute... send me a couple clips... would love to see their progress.

Jun 19, 2013
My DD has been working on the slide before the drive, and I've been explaining it as part of the lean so I think this GIF is great thanks for sharing it!!

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Slide\lean is one motion AFTER the weight moves to her left leg...that was my point...that's why I slowed those frames.

Who said anything about firing off the back foot?

CP

Guess I did....sliding has come into dispute on this thread....You stand in one place....or slide......whether it's style, centering motion ect. It is in the middle of getting a weight transfer back to front....:cool:

U_Front.gif

For me the issue, is staying wide, and using all the rubber, and putting in the step...(pawing motion)

Or short coupling, by using the slide.... DD is pulling front toe up & sliding.... for now :cool:

Lotz a stuff "Before the Brush"

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Gotcha PC...I just re-read the whole thread...

One thing that is noteworthy IMO in DD's motion is that in her earlier clips, her left knee is in a state of extension - to me, this is a nearly impossible position from which to drive off of - knee flexion is necessary and that is present in DD's latest clip...not sure if that was added by design or not but regardless, it is present now...NICE!

That all being said, I question what the actual gain from the stride leg "firing" Waldrop doesn't do it and I just went through my pitching clips of some of the best in the county and don't see the "gain." If Ueno didn't have the same stride leg flexion that she shows in the clip above, would she only throw 71 instead of 73? Would there be no difference? I honestly don't know...

2lrv5h.jpg
2rcyb2q.gif
5m0heh.gif

See what I mean? No centering strides...no stride leg flexion...no firing off the stride leg...

Going back to JJ's, Ken's and Java's post about the value of the centering slide...I'll say this...all of my pitchers have been to Java numerous times...I'm their PC 99% of the time...

DD2 Has a small centering move...Kait has a "big" centering move...Julia has no centering move...in all 3 they all have quality weight shifts from back to front...

All have pretty good drive mechanics with good overlap.

IMO as long as they are not false loading into their drive leg as the lean starts is what is crucial...

Personally, I like it for the ballistic and timing reasons as noted by Java...

DD looks good BTW!

CP

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Thx CP for taking the time to have a look @ DD. Thanks for all your contributions... .gifs & comments. LW is one of my favorites...got to love her smiles no matter what.
I'm not taking the drill approach. My DD is responsible for helping to train 2 different catchers, & helping to break in a mitt. She just can't pitch into a fence or net...She has to keep good hard pitches coming to them. These girls & their Dads believe in DD & she inspires us all.

She did add the slide, & knee flexion. But nothing is locked in yet. She will have to transition at a slower pace. I have the luxury of time, and I have come to the conclusion that even though DD is taller than her teammates, she is not 6'+and even if she will be ??? she is not now. She is 5'5" now... so I'm looking @ how the shorter elite pitchers leverage... thus the KU .gif warming up.... new to me. I just can't get past my feet first pattern for learning.... and with that approach there is lotz of stuff..."Before the Brush" to choose...

In that Uneo clip, did you notice first the brace, then watch it play a couple times watching only the braced Knee. I think I'm seeing Something??? A knee Jerk ??? action

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
Like everything except the excessive bend and shoulder rotation in the windup. I'm still not 100% sold on the value of the slide......but based on what Java has shared as the value point.....your DD is missing. Basically she slides, then starts over. The slide isn't the trigger or primer he speaks of. Don't get me wrong.....your DD is still a rockstar in my opinion. I remember seeing her for the first time doing that goofy up the stairs drill you were trying to sell me a few ears ago. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi