Before the Brush

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
3%27s.gif

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
She looks really good! Looks like she has lots of power, and she looks nice and light in her feet. DM are so hard! Good luck working it out! She looks damn good tho

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
She looks really good! Looks like she has lots of power, and she looks nice and light in her feet. DM are so hard! Good luck working it out! She looks damn good tho

Thx Mothgirl !!! She is coming along good... now. As you probably know, with working on Pitching a lot, you neglect the hitting. I made the .gif for her to see. She's good hitter (stats in games) thankfully, but still needs to work @ it. She is emulating both Pitcher & Hitter.... SP & MW. I reduced/compacted the swing. Dropped the open stance... and the toe tap. I got her hitting baseballs. When she gets to where she hits everyone of them, we'll move to hitting nothing but curves. When she hits everyone of them, I'll put the toe tap back in ... with live pitching :cool:

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Note to Brush

I'm seeing how important it can be to get after this... IR/BI... from very beginning. Once you proceed down the pitching path, ALL the other useless stuff you have to include to learning....Look out GDD :cool:

The issue isn't the degree of difficulty... Its the attention span, Much Higher @ 8,9 & 10... really drops in half @ 11... down to 25% 12-13... :cool:

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Note to Brush

I'm seeing how important it can be to get after this... IR/BI... from very beginning. Once you proceed down the pitching path, ALL the other useless stuff you have to include to learning....Look out GDD :cool:

The issue isn't the degree of difficulty... Its the attention span, Much Higher @ 8,9 & 10... really drops in half @ 11... down to 25% 12-13... :cool:

Haha. So I've got that to look forward too. I barely pay attention myself. Better make her a 60 mph accurate pitch by next year then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Note to Brush

In all seriousness if I were to start this journey all over again I would make sure that brush was emphasized with palm up at 9 o'clock. As you pull down, the body I/R's naturally (to a degree) so you don't 'slam' your side (no matter what OILF says) and will allow you to work both in tandem. I focused more on the BM drills without the brush. Brush absolutely has to go hand in hand as I believe it is the identifier to having an inefficient motion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
The AHHHaaa moment... she tells me, so I can restart camera.... less editing :{))

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iCvjcuYm6RU?rel=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
Rope, thanks for the kind words. I do believe we've had this conversation offline... as I recall you taking this position before. That said, I don't use it as a generic method... and it is in the DM sticky.

I teach a slide just like I teach a backswing.... not just to do them, but to use them to enhance a motion. I don't teach a kid to load into knee flexion, hold it, then go... as I know that it is less optimal. Try jumping without and premovement. Try kicking a ball without first moving your leg backwards. You see only a lateral move... i see a trigger for elastic stored energy.

I get sick to my stomache when a kid gets lost into a backswing and everything just comes forward together. I want their forward body momentum to pull the arm out of the backswing.

I would also say that a centering slide eliminates lateral movement... and is used to excite an explosive forward movement.

Regardless of the position one takes here... I think it is important that we always consider what it is we could do better... so as to allow our body to work more efficiently. At some point in my journey, I decided to make these kind of things absolutes while instructing. Sure, these things aren't for all, but they are for me... hope you understand my position.

I've tried it in the past and felt it reduced my balance.....I'll give it a whirl today...me.... not DD. I've actually gotten to the point I can chuck it pretty well.

Took a while....but I did try it a few times.... and there's something to note here.... If you use the upper body to lean and "Pull" the drive leg across the rubber...it's detrimental. No good. If the drive leg is weightless and initiates the movement independent of the upper body, it's not so bad.....I will still argue that a toe lift will do the same with less consequence. Java....hopefully we can agree to disagree on this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi